Broad Category:† Social/Economic Factors
Question SOCIO-2: What are the attitudes and values of southern residents toward forests and their management and how have they changed over time and do they differ by demographic groups?
Question Leaders:†Michael Tarrant and Ken Cordell
Methods of analysis:
1. Develop attitude and value questions to include in the National Survey of Recreation and the Environment (NSRE) (this will provide a broad assessment of the South at a state/ multi-state scale). The NSRE will provide an opportunity for the public to be involved in the Assessment process. Social science statistical techniques will be used to examine differences in attitudes and values across social demographic groups (e.g., urban versus rural, landowners versus non-landowners, etc.);
2. Arcview GIS will be used to display and analyze demographic data at census block scale;
3. Literature review. Compile and interpret previous case studies/ secondary data to illustrate broad scale assessment and potential regional trend changes in attitudes and values.
1. National Survey on Recreation and the Environment, 2000;
2. Census CD+ of previous (1970, 1980, and 1990) and projected (2000) census data;
3. Published studies and secondary datasets (where available and applicable).
1. DBF, tabular report, and written summary report of NSRE sampled residentsí attitudes and values toward forests and their management in the South (DBF by December, 2000; tabular and written reports by February, 2001);
2. GIS shape files of all Census blocks in the South containing information on demographic characteristics and written summary report (January, 2001);
3. Written summary of published case studies (January, 2001).
Collaborators and sources:
1. Gary Green, NSRE manager, Southern Research Station.
2. Mark Fly, NSRE data collection, University of Tennessee.
Links to other questions:
1. GIS census block/ residential data pertinent to Category 3, question 1a.
2. Some information on landowner attitudes (2b) may be relevant to Category 3, question 4d.
1. What specific and/ or general attitudes and values toward forest/ forest management will be assessed in the NSRE?
2. What specific aspects of community and/ or private property rights will be assessed in the NSRE?