The Southern Forest Resource Assessment web site follows privacy and security guidelines of its host site, the Southern Research Station. Visitors are urged to review those policies explained on the Station's Privacy and Security Notice. Public input has been an important and integral feature of the Assessment, and therefore amplification on specific policies for the Assessment pages is called for.
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the website, read pages, or download information, we will gather and store certain information about your visit automatically. This information does not identify you personally. We automatically collect and store only the following information about your visit:
- The IP address used by your computer when you visited the site (an IP address is a number assigned to your computer for whenever you are on the Internet);
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The page you are visiting; and
- The URL of the page whose link you followed to get to this page.
We use this information to help us make our site more useful to visitors - to learn about the number of visitors to our site, the types of technology our visitors are using to view our site, and the pages they were most interested in visiting. We do not track or record information about individuals and their visits, and we do not store cookies on your computer.
If You Send Us Personal Information
If you choose to provide us with personal information either by sending email to someone or by filling out a form with your personal information and submitting it to us through our website, we use that information to respond to your message, to improve the Assessment, and to help us provide for you the information you have requested. We treat e-mails the same way that we regard letters sent to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. We are required to maintain many documents under the Presidential Records Act for historical purposes, but we do not collect personal information for any purpose other than to respond to you. We only share the information you give us with another government agency if 1) they are affiliated with the Assessment, 2) your inquiry relates to that agency, or 3) as otherwise required by law. Moreover, we do not create individual profiles with the information you provide or to give it to any private organizations. The U.S. Department of Agriculture in general and this site in particular does not collect information for commercial marketing.
Links to Other Sites
Information presented on the USDA website is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested.
- For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration General Schedule 20.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service is a diverse organization committed to equal opportunity in employment and program delivery. USDA prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political affiliation and familial status. Persons believing they have been discriminated against should contact the Secretary, U.S.D.A., Washington, DC 20250, or call 202/720-7327 (voice) or 202/720-1127 (TDD).
Comments or Questions
If you have any comments or questions about the information presented here please forward them to its webmaster at email@example.com
Assessment Home | SRS Home
webmaster: John M. Pye