Wayne T. SwankScientist Emeritus
Forest hydrology and ecology with emphasis on water yield and water quality, biogeochemical cycles, and forest succession as related to both natural and management disturbances.
- Ph.D. in Forest Hydrology
- University of Washington
- M.F. in Silviculture
- University of Washington
- B.S. in Forest Management
- West Virginia University
Featured Publications and Products
- Swank, Wayne; Vose, James. 2010. Long-term forest ecosystem research: a programmatic view.
- Burt, T.P.; Swank, W.T. 2010. Hursh CR and Brater EF (1941) separating storm-hydrographs from small drainage-areas into surface- and subsurface-flow. Transactions, American Geophysical Union 22:863-871.
- Brookshire, E.N. Jack; Gerber, Stefan; Webster, Jackson R.; Vose, James M.; Swank, Wayne T. 2010. Direct effects of temperature on forest nitrogen cycling revealed through analysis of long-term watershed records.
- Worrall, Fred; Swank, Wayne T.; Burt, Tim. 2005. Fluxes of inorganic carbon from two forested catchments in the Appalachian mountains.
- Elliott, Katherine J.; Caldwell, Peter V.; Brantley, Steven T.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Vose, James M.; Swank, Wayne. 2017. Water yield following forest-grass-forest transitions.
- Webster, J. R.; Knoepp, Jennifer; Swank, Wayne; Miniat, Chelcy. 2016. Evidence for a regime shift in nitrogen export from a forested watershed.
- Caldwell, Peter; Miniat, Chelcy Ford; Brantley, Steven; Elliott, Katherine; Laseter, Stephanie; Swank, Wayne. 2016. Long term records provide insights on the relative influence of climate and forest community structure on water yield in the southern Appalachians.
- Webster, Jackson, R..; Swank, Wayne , T..; Vose, James , M..; Knoepp, Jennifer , D..; Elliott, Katherine , J. 2014. Bridging the gap between ecosystem theory and forest watershed management.
- Knoepp, Jennifer, D..; Swank, Wayne , T..; Haines, Bruce L. 2014. Long- and short-term changes in nutrient availability following commercial sawlog harvest via cable logging.
- Swank, Wayne , T..; Webster, Jackson, R. 2014. Preface: long-term response of a forest watershed ecosystem, clearcutting in the Southern Appalachians.
- Swank, Wayne T.; Webster, Jackson, R. 2014. Programmatic background, site description, experimental approach and treatment, and natural disturbances.
- Swank, Wayne , T..; Knoepp, Jennifer , D..; Logic exception within f_get_listOfAuthors30(). Could not calculate fullname.; Logic exception within f_get_listOfAuthors30(). Could not calculate fullname.; Webster, Jackson, R. 2014. Response and recovery of water yield and timing, stream sediment, abiotic parameters, and stream chemistry following logging.
- Qualls, Robert G.; Haines, Bruce L.; Swank, Wayne , T. 2014. Soluble organic nutrient fluxes.
- Boring, Lindsay R.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Swank, Wayne T. 2014. Successional forest dynamics 30 years following clearcutting.
- Vose, James M.; Swank, Wayne T.; Adams, Mary Beth; Amatya, Devendra; Campbell, John; Johnson, Sherri; Swanson, Frederick J.; Kolka, Randy; Lugo, Ariel E.; Musselman, Robert; Rhoades, Charles. 2014. The role of experimental forests and ranges in the development of ecosystem science and biogeochemical cycling research [Chapter 17].
- Mattson, Kim G.; Swank, Wayne T. 2014. Wood decomposition following clearcutting at Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory.
- Serengil, Yusuf; Swank, Wayne T.; Vose, James M. 2012. Alterations on flow variability due to converting hardwood forests to pine.
- Tedela, Negussie H.; McCutcheon, Steven C.; Campbell, John L.; Swank, Wayne T.; Adams, Mary Beth; Rasmussen, Todd C. 2012. Curve numbers for nine mountainous eastern United States watersheds: seasonal variation and forest cutting.
- Tedela, Negussie H.; McCutcheon, Steven C.; Rasmussen, Todd C.; Hawkins, Richard H.; Swank, Wayne T.; Campbell, John L.; Adams, Mary Beth; Jackson, C. Rhett; Tollner, Ernest W. 2012. Runoff curve numbers for 10 small forested watersheds in the mountains of the eastern United States.
- Ford, Chelcy , R..; Laseter, Stephanie , H..; Swank, Wayne, T..; Vose, James , M. 2011. Can forest management be used to sustain water-based ecosystem service in the face of climate change?.
- Serengil, Yusuf; Swank, Wayne T.; Riedel, Mark S.; Vose, James M. 2011. Conversion to pine: Changes in timing and magnitude of high and low flows.
- Berg, Erik; Clinton, Barry; Vose, Jim; Swank, Wayne. 2011. Ten-year responses of oak regeneration to prescribed fire.