Mel WarrenResearch Biologist
Oxford, MS 38655
I am currently engaged in research on stream fish ecology and conservation and on a comprehensive three volume book synthesizing our knowledge of freshwater fishes of North America.The stream research encompasses spatial scales ranging from individual habitat units such as pools to entire watersheds to drainage basins.The research is located primarily in Gulf Coastal Plain streams. Work on stream fish ecology includes studies of local colonization and extinction dynamics in relation to environmental variability, recovery of stream fishes after disturbance, and the structure, stability, habitat interrelationships, and co-occurrence dynamics of warmwater fish communities. Conservation research includes assessments of aquatic biodiversity and examining association of biological and landscape-scale factors with imperilment of aquatic organisms.
- Ph.D. in Zoology, 1989
- Southern Illinois University
- M.S. in Wildl. & Fish. Sci., 1977
- University of Tennessee
- B.S. in Biology, 1974
- University of Tennessee
Featured Publications and Products
- Hill, Brian H.; McCormick, Frank H.; Harvey, Bret C.; Johnson, Sherri L.; Warren, Melvin L.; Elonen, Colleen M. 2010. Microbial enzyme activity, nutrient uptake and nutrient limitation in forested streams.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. Jr. 2010. Diversity, abundance, and size structure of bivalve assemblages in the Sipsey River, Alabama.
- Powers, Steven L.; Warren, Melvin L, Jr. 2009. Phylogeography of three snubnose darters (Percidae: subgenus Ulocentra) endemic to the southeastern U.S.
- Sheldon, Andrew L.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr. 2009. Filters and templates: stonefly (Plecoptera) richness in Ouachita Mountains streams, U.S.A.
- Warren, M.L., Jr. 2009. Centrarchid identification and natural history.
- Warren, Mel. 2020. Amblyopsidae: Cavefishes.
- Warren, Mel. 2020. Aphredoderidae: Pirate Perches.
- Sterling, Kenneth; Nielsen, Suart; Brown, Andrew; Warren, Mel; Noonan, Brice. 2020. Cryptic diversity among Yazoo Darters (Percidae: Etheostoma raneyi) in disjunct watersheds of northern Mississippi.
- Warren, Mel. 2020. Esociformes: Esocidae, Pikes, and Umbridae, Mudminnows.
- Warren, Melvin. 2020. Freshwater Fishes of North America.
- Warren, Mel. 2020. Fundulidae: Topminnows.
- Warren, Mel, Jr. 2020. Ictaluridae: North American Catfishes.
- Hubbell, Joshua P.; Schaefer, Jacob F.; Warren Jr., Melvin L.; Sterling, Kenneth A. 2020. Modelling patterns of coexistence of three congeneric headwater fishes.
- Warren, Mel, Jr. 2020. Osmeridae: Smelts.
- Warren, Mel. 2020. Percopsidae: Trout-perches.
- Sterling, Ken; Warren, Mel. 2020. Spawning substrate preferences of the Yazoo Darter (Etheostoma raneyi).
- Ruble, Crystal L.; Sterling, Ken A.; Warren, Melvin L. 2019. Captive propagation and early life history of the Yazoo Darter (Etheostoma raneyi).
- Sterling, Ken A.; Warren Jr., Melvin L. . 2018. Effects of introduced small wood in a degraded stream on fish community and functional diversity.
- Penaluna, Brooke E.; Reeves, Gordon H.; Barnett, Zanethia ; Bisson, Peter A.; Buffington, John M.; Dolloff, Andy ; Flitcroft, Rebecca ; Luce, Charles H.; Nislow, Keith ; Rothlisberger, John ; Warren, Mel. . 2018. Using natural disturbance and portfolio concepts to guide aquatic-riparian ecosystem management.
- Sterling, Ken A.; Warren, Melvin L. 2017. Microhabitat estimation of an imperiled headwater fish, the Yazoo darter (Etheostoma raneyi), in Coastal Plain streams.
- Dolloff, Andy; Roghair, Craig; Krause, Colin; Moran, John; Cochran, Allison; Warren, Mel; Adams, Susan; Haag, Wendell. 2016. Spatio-temporal variation in distribution of aquatic species and their habitats in a reservoir transition zone.
- Adams, Susan B.; Roghair, Craig; Krause, Colin; Warren, Mel; Cochran, J. Allison; Dolloff, Andy; Moran, John; McGregor, Stuart W.; Schuester, Guenter A.; Gangloff, Michael; DeVries, Dennis R.; Kendrick, Michael R.; Grove, G. Lee; Wright, Russell A. 2015. New crayfish species records from the Sipsey Fork drainage, including Lewis Smith Reservoir (Alabama, USA): Native or introduced species?.
- Sterling, Ken A.; Warren, Warren L. Jr.; L.Gayle, Henderson. 2013. Conservation assessment of the Yazoo Darter (etheostoma raneyi).
- Schaefer, Jocob F.; Clark, Scott R.; Warren, Melvin L. Jr. 2012. Diversity and stability in Mississippi stream fish assemblages.
- Warren, Melvin L., Jr. 2012. Forest landscape restoration: linkages with stream fishes of the southern United States.
- Sterling, Ken A.; Reed, David H.; Noonan, Brice P.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr. 2012. Genetic effects of habitat fragmentation and population isolation on Etheostoma raneyi (Percidae).
- Warren, Melvin L., Jr..; Sheldon, A.L.; Haag, W.R. 2009. Constructed microhabitat bundles for sampling fishes and crayfishes in coastal plain streams.
- Love, Joseph W.; Christopher, Taylor M.; Warren, Melvin L. Jr. 2008. Effects of summer drought on fish and macroinvertebrate assemblage properties in upland Ouachita Mountain streams, USA.
- Second Volume of Freshwater Fishes of North America (2020)
- The second volume of Freshwater Fishes of North America was recently published. The book is a rich textual and visual experience that covers everything known about the diversity, natural history, ecology, and biology of North American fish families Characidae to Poeciliidae. The authoritative reference book is the result of decades of analysis by leading fish experts from universities and research laboratories across North America.