Johnny BoggsBiological Scientist
920 Main Campus, Dr. Venture Center 2, Suite 300Phone: 919-513-2973
Raleigh, NC 27606
Raleigh, NC 27606
Studying the impacts of nitrogen deposition on nutrient cycling and forest productivity in eastern US forests.
- M.S. in Plant and Soil Science, 1998
- Alabama A&M University
- B.S. in Environment Science, 1996
- Alabama A&M University
Featured Publications and Products
- Boggs, Johnny L.; McNulty, Steven G. 2010. Changes in canopy cover alter surface air and forest floor temperature in a high-elevation red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.) forest.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L. 2010. A conceptual framework: redifining forests soil's critical acid loads under a changing climate.
- Domec, J.-C.; Noormets, A.; Sun, Ge; King, J.; McNulty, Steven; Gavazzi, Michael; Boggs, Johnny; Treasure, Emrys. 2009. Decoupling the influence of leaf and root hydraulic conductances on stomatal conductance and its sensitivity to vapour pressure deficit as soil dries in a drained loblolly pine plantation.
- Sun, Ge; Boggs, Johnny; McNulty, Steven G.; Amatya, Devendra M.; Trettin, Carl C.; Dai, Zhaohua; Vose, James M.; La Torre Torres, Ileana B.; Callahan, Timothy. 2008. Hydrologic processes of forested headwater watersheds across a physiographaic gradient in the southeastern United States.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L.; Aber, John D.; Rustad, Lindsey E. 2017. Spruce-fir forest changes during a 30-year nitrogen saturation experiment.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve. 2017. The effects of stream crossings on total suspended sediment in North Carolina Piedmont forests.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve. 2016. Paired forested watershed experiments in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steven. 2015. Effects of timber harvest on water quantity and quality in small watersheds in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
- Caldwell, Peter; Segura, Catalina; Laird, Shelby Gull; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steven G.; Sandercock, Maria; Boggs, Johnny; Vose, James M. 2015. Short-term stream water temperature observations permit rapid assessment of potential climate change impacts.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L.; Sun, Ge. 2014. The rise of the mediocre forest: why chronically stressed trees may better survive extreme episodic climate variability.
- Dreps, C.; Sun, G.; Boggs, J. 2014. Water balances of two Piedmont headwater catchments: implications for regional hydrologic landscape classification.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; Jones, David; McNulty, Steven G. 2013. Effect of soils on water quantity and quality in Piedmont forested headwater watersheds of North Carolina.
- Crowley, K.F.; McNeil, B.E.; Lovett, G.M.; Canham, C.D.; Driscoll, C.T.; Rustad, L.E.; Denny, E.; Hallett, R.A.; Arthur, M.A.; Boggs, J.L.; Goodale, C.L.; Kahl, J.S.; McNulty, S.G.; Ollinger, S.V.; Pardo, L.H.; Schaberg, P.G.; Stoddard, J.L.; Weand, M.P.; Weather, K.C. 2012. Do nutrient limitation patterns shift from nitrogen toward phosphorus with increasing nitrogen deposition across the northeastern United States?.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge. 2011. Urbanization alters watershed hydrology in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
- Boggs, Johnny L.; McNulty, Steven G.; Pardo, Linda H. 2007. Changes in conifer and deciduous forest foliar and forest floor chemistry and basal area tree growth across a nitrogen (N) deposition gradient in the northeastern US.
- Pardo, Linda H.; McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L.; Duke, Sara. 2007. Regional patterns in foliar 15N across a gradient of nitrogen deposition in the northeastern US.
- Wallenstein, Matthew D.; McNulty, Steven; Fernandez, Ivan J.; Boggs, Johnny; Schlesinger, William H. 2006. Nitrogen fertilization decreases forest soil fungal and bacterial biomass in three long-term experiments.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny; Aber, John D.; Rustad, Lindsey; Magill, Allison. 2005. Red spruce ecosystem level changes following 14 years of chronic N fertilization.
- Boggs, Johnny L.; McNulty, Steven G.; Gavazzi, Michael J.; Myers, Jennifer Moore. 2005. Tree growth, foliar chemistry, and nitrogen cycling across a nitrogen deposition gradient in southern Appalachian deciduous forests.
- Boggs, Johnny L.; Tsegaye, T.D.; Coleman, Tamula L.; Reddy, K.C.; Fahsi, Ahmed. 2003. Relationship between hyperspectral reflectance, soil nitrate-nitrogen, cotton leaf chlorophyll, and cotton yield: A step toward precision agriculture.