Mel WarrenResearch Biologist, Certified Fisheries Scientist
Oxford, MS 38655
I am currently engaged in two primary areas of research: stream fish and freshwater mussel ecology and conservation of aquatic organisms.This research encompasses spatial scales ranging from individual habitat units such as pools to entire watersheds to drainage basins.The research is located in the Interior Highlands, Southern Appalachians, and southern bottomland streams, wetlands, and associated riparian systems.Work on stream fish ecology includes studies of local colonization and extinction dynamics in relation to environmental variability, effects of road crossings on fish movement, recovery of stream fishes after disturbance, and the structure, stability, habitat, interrelationships, and trophic dynamics of warmwater fish communities.Freshwater mussel ecological research is focused on determining reproductive requisites (e.g., seasonality, fish-hosts, and modes of propagule dissemination), associating local and large-scale physical influences on mussel community structure, and development methods for efficient, repeatable monitoring and inventory.Conservation research includes assessments of aquatic biodiversity (e.g., Interior Highlands, Daniel Boone National Forest, and Region 8) and examining association of biological and landscape-scale factors with imperilment of aquatic organisms.In the near future, I will initiate a study examining the use indicators of ecosystem function (e.g., nutrient spiraling) to assess watershed stress in forested ecosystems.
- Ph.D. in Zoology, 1989
- Southern Illinois University
- M.S. in Wildl. & Fish. Sci., 1977
- University of Tennessee
- B.S. in Biology, 1974
- University of Tennessee
Featured Publications and Products
- Hill, Brian H.; McCormick, Frank H.; Harvey, Bret C.; Johnson, Sherri L.; Warren, Melvin L.; Elonen, Colleen M. 2010. Microbial enzyme activity, nutrient uptake and nutrient limitation in forested streams.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. Jr. 2010. Diversity, abundance, and size structure of bivalve assemblages in the Sipsey River, Alabama.
- Powers, Steven L.; Warren, Melvin L, Jr. 2009. Phylogeography of three snubnose darters (Percidae: subgenus Ulocentra) endemic to the southeastern U.S.
- Sheldon, Andrew L.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr. 2009. Filters and templates: stonefly (Plecoptera) richness in Ouachita Mountains streams, U.S.A.
- Warren, M.L., Jr. 2009. Centrarchid identification and natural history.
- Sterling, Ken A.; Warren Jr., Melvin L. . 2018. Effects of introduced small wood in a degraded stream on fish community and functional diversity.
- Penaluna, Brooke E.; Reeves, Gordon H.; Barnett, Zanethia ; Bisson, Peter A.; Buffington, John M.; Dolloff, Andy ; Flitcroft, Rebecca ; Luce, Charles H.; Nislow, Keith ; Rothlisberger, John ; Warren, Mel. . 2018. Using natural disturbance and portfolio concepts to guide aquatic-riparian ecosystem management.
- Sterling, Ken A.; Warren, Melvin L. 2017. Microhabitat estimation of an imperiled headwater fish, the Yazoo darter (Etheostoma raneyi), in Coastal Plain streams.
- Adams, Susan B.; Roghair, Craig; Krause, Colin; Warren, Mel; Cochran, J. Allison; Dolloff, Andy; Moran, John; McGregor, Stuart W.; Schuester, Guenter A.; Gangloff, Michael; DeVries, Dennis R.; Kendrick, Michael R.; Grove, G. Lee; Wright, Russell A. 2015. New crayfish species records from the Sipsey Fork drainage, including Lewis Smith Reservoir (Alabama, USA): Native or introduced species?.
- Sterling, Ken A.; Warren, Warren L. Jr.; L.Gayle, Henderson. 2013. Conservation assessment of the Yazoo Darter (etheostoma raneyi).
- Schaefer, Jocob F.; Clark, Scott R.; Warren, Melvin L. Jr. 2012. Diversity and stability in Mississippi stream fish assemblages.
- Warren, Melvin L., Jr. 2012. Forest landscape restoration: linkages with stream fishes of the southern United States.
- Sterling, Ken A.; Reed, David H.; Noonan, Brice P.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr. 2012. Genetic effects of habitat fragmentation and population isolation on Etheostoma raneyi (Percidae).
- Warren, Melvin L., Jr..; Sheldon, A.L.; Haag, W.R. 2009. Constructed microhabitat bundles for sampling fishes and crayfishes in coastal plain streams.
- Love, Joseph W.; Christopher, Taylor M.; Warren, Melvin L. Jr. 2008. Effects of summer drought on fish and macroinvertebrate assemblage properties in upland Ouachita Mountain streams, USA.