Qinfeng GuoResearch Ecologist
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Biological invasions (Patterns, processes, and mechanisms of biotic invasions at the population and community levels);
Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning
Experimental research on plant-animal interactions; succession in California chaparral; simulation of linear forest dynamics in the Great Plains, floristic biogeography of China/Asia; biodiversity-ecosystem functioning; restoration ecology
Why This Research is Important
Researchers and managers need to understand the patterns, processes, and underlying mechanisms of species invasions
- Ph.D. in Biology (Ecology), 1994
- University of New Mexico
- M.S. in Botany (Systematics), 1986
- Chinese Academy of Sciences
Featured Publications and Products
- Guo, Qinfeng; Ricklefs, Robert. 2010. Domestic exotics and the perception of invasibility.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Symstad, Amy. 2008. A two-part measure of degree of invasion for cross-community comparisons.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Kelt, Douglas A.; Sun, Zhongyu; Liu, Hongxiao; Hu, Liangjun; Ren, Hai; We, Jun. 2013. Global variation in elevational diversity patterns.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2012. Incorporating latitudinal and central–marginal trends in assessing genetic variation across species ranges.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Sax, Dov F.; Qian, Hong; Early, Regan. 2012. Latitudinal shifts of introduced species: possible causes and implications.
- Nunez-Mir, Gabriela C.; Liebhold, Andrew M.; Guo, Qinfeng; Brockerhoff, Eckehard G.; Jo, Insu; Ordonez, Kimberly; Fei, Songlin. 2017. Biotic resistance to exotic invasions: its role in forest ecosystems, confounding artifacts, and future directions.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Iannone III, Basil V.; Nunez-Mir, Gabriela C.; Potter, Kevin M.; Oswalt, Christopher M.; Fei, Songlin. 2017. Species pool, human population, and global versus regional invasion patterns.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2017. Temporal changes in native-exotic richness correlations during early post-fire succession.
- Chen, Xiongwen; Guo, Qinfeng; Brockway, Dale G. 2016. Analyzing the complexity of cone production in longleaf pine by multiscale entropy.
- Wang, Y.; Shao, L.; Wang, J.; Ren, H.; Liu, H.; Zhang, Q. M.; Guo, Qinfeng; Chen, X. W. 2016. Comparison of morphological and physiological characteristics in two phenotypes of a rare and endangered plant, Begonia fimbristipula Hance.
- Oswalt, Christopher M.; Fei, Songlin; Guo, Qinfeng; Iannone III, Basil V.; Oswalt, Sonja N.; Pijanowski, Bryan C.; Potter, Kevin M. 2016. Corrigendum: A subcontinental view of forest plant invasions.
- Chen, Xiongwen; Brockway, Dale G.; Guo, Qinfeng. 2016. Entropy dynamics in cone production of longleaf pine forests in the southeastern United States.
- Iannone III, Basil V.; Potter, Kevin M.; Hamil, Kelly-Ann Dixon; Huang, Whitney; Zhang, Hao; Guo, Qinfeng; Oswalt, Christopher M.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Fei, Songlin. 2016. Evidence of biotic resistance to invasions in forests of the Eastern USA.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Zarnoch, Stanley J.; Chen, Xiongwen; Brockway, Dale G. 2016. Life cycle and masting of a recovering keystone indicator species under climate fluctuation.
- Fei, Songlin; Guo, Qinfeng; Potter, Kevin. 2016. Macrosystems ecology: novel methods and new understanding of multi-scale patterns and processes.
- Ren, Hai; Liu, Hong; Wang, Jun; Yuan, Lianlian; Cui, Xiaodong; Zhang, Qianmei; Fu, Lin; Chen, Hongfeng; Zhong, Wenchao; Yang, Keming; Guo, Qinfeng. 2016. The use of grafted seedlings increases the success of conservation translocations of Manglietia longipedunculata (Magnoliaceae), a critically endangered tree.
- Oswalt, Christopher M.; Fei, Songlin; Guo, Qinfeng; Iannone III, Basil V.; Oswalt, Sonja N.; Pijanowski, Bryan C.; Potter, Kevin M. 2015. A subcontinental view of forest plant invasions.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Fei, Songlin; Dukes, Jeffrey S.; Oswalt, Christopher M.; III, Basil V. Iannone; Potter, Kevin M. 2015. A unified approach for quantifying invasibility and degree of invasion.
- Isbell, Forest; Craven, Dylan; Connolly, John; Loreau, Michel; Schmid, Bernhard; Beierkuhnlein, Carl; Bezemer, T. Martijn; Bonin, Catherine; Bruelheide, Helge; de Luca, Enrica; Ebeling, Anne; Griffin, John N.; Guo, Qinfeng; Hautier, Yann; Hector, Andy; Jentsch, Anke; Kreyling, Jurgen; Lanta, Vojtech; Manning, Pete; Meyer, Sebastian T.; Mori, Akira S.; Naeem, Shahid; Niklaus, Pascal A.; Polley, H. Wayne; Reich, Peter B.; Roscher, Christiane; Seabloom, Eric W.; Smith, Melinda D.; Thakur, Madhav P.; Tilman, David; Tracy, Benjamin F.; van der Putten, Wim H.; van Ruijven, Jasper; Weigelt, Alexandra; Weisser, Wolfgang W.; Wilsey, Brian; Eisenhauer, Nico. 2015. Biodiversity increases the resistance of ecosystem productivity to climate extremes.
- Iannone III, Basil V.; Potter, Kevin M.; Guo, Qinfeng; Liebhold, Andrew M.; Pijanowski, Bryan C.; Oswalt, Christopher M.; Fei, Songlin. 2015. Biological invasion hotspots: a trait-based perspective reveals new sub-continental patterns.
- Zhu, Hui; Wang, Deli; Guo, Qinfeng; Liu, Jun; Wang, Ling. 2015. Interactive effects of large herbivores and plant diversity on insect abundance in a meadow steppe in China.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2015. Island Biogeography Theory: Emerging Patterns and Human Effects.
- Xu, Yue; Shen, Zehao; Li, Daoxin; Guo, Qinfeng. 2015. Pre-dispersal seed predation in a species-rich forest community: Patterns and the interplay with determinants.
- Wang, J.; Huang, L.; Ren, H.; Sun, Z.; Guo, Q. 2015. Regenerative potential and functional composition of soil seed banks in remnant evergreen broad-leaved forests under urbanization in South China.
- Iannone, Basil V.; Oswalt, Christopher M.; Liebhold, Andrew M.; Guo, Qinfeng; Potter, Kevin M.; Nunez-Mir, Gabriela C.; Oswalt, Sonja N.; Pijanowski, Bryan C.; Fei, Songlin; Bradley, Bethany. 2015. Region-specific patterns and drivers of macroscale forest plant invasions.
- Fei, Songlin; Iannone III, Basil V.; Oswalt, Christopher M.; Guo, Qinfeng; Potter, Kevin M.; Oswalt, Sonja N.; Pijanowski, Bryan C.; Nunez-Mir, Gabriela C. 2015. Understanding macroscale invasion patterns and processes with FIA data.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2014. Central-marginal population dynamics in species invasions.
- Olatinwo, Rabiu; Guo, Qinfeng; Fei, Songlin; Otrosina, William; Klepzig, Kier; Streett, Douglas. 2014. Climate-induced changes in vulnerability to biological threats in the southern United States.
- Ren, Hai; Guo, Qinfeng; Liu, Hong; Li, Jing; Zhang, Qianmei; Xu, Hualin; Xu, Fanghong. 2014. Patterns of alien plant invasion across coastal bay areas in southern China.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2014. Plant hybridization: the role of human disturbance and biological invasion.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Ren, Hai. 2014. Productivity as related to diversity and age in planted versus natural forests.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Olden, Julian D. 2014. Spatial scaling of non-native fish richness across the United States.
- Guo, Q. 2014. Species invasions on islands: searching for general patterns and principles.
- Sun, Zhongyu; Ren, Hai; Schaefer, Val; Guo, Qinfeng; Wang, Jun. 2014. Using ecological memory as an indicator to monitor the ecological restoration of four forest plantations in subtropical China.
- Yuan, SF; Ren, H; Liu, N; Wang, J; Guo, QF. 2013. Can thinning of overstory trees and planting of native tree saplings increase the establishment of native trees in exotic acacia plantations in south china?.
- Huang, Liujing; Chen, Hongfeng; Ren, Hai; Wang, Jun; Guo, Qinfeng. 2013. Effect of urbanization on the structure and functional traits of remnant subtropical evergreen broad-leaved forests in South China.
- Hu, Liang-Jun; Li, Ping; Guo, Qinfeng. 2013. Positive plant diversity-soil stability relationships are mediated through roots in the Songnen Grassland: Chronosequence evidence.
- Liu, Nan; Ren, Hai; Yuan, Sufen; Guo, Qinfeng; Yang, Long. 2013. Testing the stress-gradient hypothesis during the restoration of tropical degraded land using the shrub Rhodomyrtus tomentosa as a nurse plant.
- Hu, Liangjun; Guo, Qinfeng. 2013. What does productivity really mean? Towards an integrative paradigm in the search for biodiversity-productivity relationships.
- Ren, Hai; Lu, Hongfang; Wang, Jun; Liu, Nan; Guo, Qinfeng. 2012. Forest Restoration in China: Advances, Obstacles, and Perspectives.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Rejmanek, Marcel; Wen, Jun. 2012. Geographical, socioeconomic, and ecological determinants of exotic plant naturalization in the United States: insights and updates from improved data.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Norman, Steve. 2012. Improving restoration to control plant invasions under climate change.
- Miao, ShiLi; Li, Yi; Guo, Qinfeng; Yu, Hua; Ding, JiangQing; al., et . 2012. Potential Alternatives to Classical Biocontrol: Using Native Agents in Invaded Habitats and Genetically Engineered Sterile Cultivars for Invasive Plant Management.
- Ren, Hai; Zeng, Songjun; Li, Longna; Zhang, Qianmei; Yang, Long; Wang, Jun; Wang, Zhengfeng; Guo, Qinfeng. 2012. Reintroduction of Tigridiopalma magnifica, a rare and critically endangered herb endemic to China.
- Liu, Nan; Guo, Qinfeng. 2012. Resource-use efficiencies of three indigenous tree species planted in resource islands created by shrubs: implications for reforestation of subtropical degraded shrublands.
- Ren, Hai; Zhang, Qianmei; Lu, Hongfang; Liu, Hongxiao; Guo, Qinfeng; Wang, Jun; Jian, Shuguang; Bao, Hai’ou. 2012. Wild Plant Species with Extremely Small Populations Require Conservation and Reintroduction in China.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2011. Book review: Encyclopedia of biological invasions.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2011. Counting “exotics”.
- Li, Zhenyu; Dong, Quan; Albright, Thomas; Guo, Qinfeng. 2011. Natural and human dimensions of a quasi-wild species:the case of kudzu.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2011. Seed size- and density-related hidden treatments in common biodiversity experiments.
- Ren, Hai; Zhang, Qianmei; Wang, Zhengfeng; Guo, Qinfeng; Wang, June; Liu, Nan; Liang, Kaiming. 2010. Conservation and possible reintroduction of an endangered plant based on an analysis of community ecology: a case study of Primulina tabacum Hance in China.
- Qian, Hong; Guo, Qinfeng. 2010. Linking biotic homogenization to habitat type, invasiveness and growth form of naturalized alien plants in North America.
- Ren, Hai; Ma, Guohua; Zhang, Qianmei; Guo, Qinfeng; Wang, Jun; Wang, Zhengfeng. 2010. Moss is a key nurse plant for reintroduction of the endangered herb, Primulina tabacum Hance. .
- Ren, Hai; Lu, Hongfang; Shen, Weijun; Huang, Charlie; Guo, Qinfeng; Li, Zhi'an; Jian, Shuguang. 2010. Sonneratia apetala Buch. Ham in the mangrove ecosystems of China: An invasive species or restoration species?.
- Albright, Thomas P.; Chen, Hao; Chen, Lijun; Guo, Qinfeng. 2010. The ecological niche and reciprocal prediction of the disjunct distribution of an invasive species: the example of Ailanthus altissima.
- Wang, Jun; Ren, Hai; Yang, Long; Li, Danyan; Guo, Qinfeng. 2009. Soil seed banks in four 22-year-old plantations in South China: implications for restoration.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Falcone, Josephine; Brownsmith, Joe. 2009. Building the database for introduced plants in the United States.
- Guo, Q. 2009. Interactive effects of diversity and biomass on productivity: insights from succession.
- Ricklefs, Robert E.; Guo, Qinfeng; Qian, Hong. 2008. Growth form and distribution of introduced plants in their native and non-native ranges in Eastern Asia and North America.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2008. Interactive Effects of Diversity and Biomass on Productivity: Insights from Succession.
- Ren, Hai; Jian, Shuguang; Lu, Hongfang; Zhang, Qianmei; Shen, Weijun; Han, Weidong; Yin, Zuoyun; Guo, Qinfeng. 2008. Restoration of mangrove plantations and colonisation by native species in Leizhou bay, South China.
- Du, Xiaojun; Guo, Qinfeng; Gao, Xianming; Na, Keping. 2007. Seed rain, soil seed bank, seed loss and regeneration of Castanopsis fargesii (Fagaceae) in a subtropical evergreen broad-leaved forest.
- Guo, Qinfeng. 2007. The diversity-biomass-productivity relationships in grassland management and restoration.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Taper, Mark; Schoenberger, Michele; Brandle, J. 2005. Spatial-temporal population dynamics across species range: from centre to margin.
- Guo, Qinfeng; Brandle, J.; Schoeneberger, Michele; Buettner, D. 2004. Simulating the dynamics of linear forests in great plains agroecosystems under changing climates.