C. Dana NelsonProject Leader
University of KentuckyPhone: 228-832-2747
TP Cooper Bldg., 730 Rose St.
Lexington, KY 40546-0073
TP Cooper Bldg., 730 Rose St.
Lexington, KY 40546-0073
- host-pathogen genetics, in particular the genetics of fusiform rust disease on slash and loblolly pines
- population and quantitative genetics of the southern pines
- DNA marker development and genome mapping
- comparative genomics of the southern pines and related conifers
- Ph.D. in Forest Genetics, 1988
- University of Minnesota
- M.S. in Forest Genetics, 1984
- Oklahoma State University
- B.S. in Forestry, 1982
- Iowa State University
- Southern Forest Tree Improvement Committee, Chair (2011—Current)
Featured Publications and Products
- Koch, Jennifer L.; Carey, David W.; Mason, Mary E.; Nelson, C. Dana; Barakat, Abdelali; Carlson, John E.; Neale, David. 2011. Development of molecular tools for use in beech bark disease management.
- Echt, Craig S.; Saha, Surya; Krutovsky, Konstantin V.; Wimalanathan, Kokulapalan; Erpelding, John E.; Liang, Chun; Nelson, C Dana. 2011. An annotated genetic map of loblolly pine based on microsatellite and cDNA markers.
- Potter, Kevin M.; Frampton, John; Josserand, Sedley A.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2010. Evolutionary history of two endemic Appalachian conifers revealed using microsatellite markers.
- Koch, Jennifer L.; Carey, David W.; Mason, Mary E.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2010. Assessment of beech scale resistance in full- and half-sibling American beech families.
- Johnsen, Kurt H.; Butnor, John R.; Kush, John S.; Schmidtling, Ronald C.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2009. Hurricane Katrina winds damaged longleaf pine less than loblolly pine.
- Bragg, Don C.; Crane, Barbara S.; Hossain, Shaik M.; McDaniel, Virginia L.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2020. A new look at some old shortleaf pine progeny tests: lessons for silvicultural opportunities through partnerships.
- Staton, Margaret ; Addo-Quaye, Charles ; Cannon, Nathaniel ; Yu, Jiali ; Zhebentyayeva, Tetyana ; Huff, Matthew ; Islam-Faridi, Nurul ; Fan, Shenghua ; Georgi, Laura L.; Nelson, C. Dana; Bellis, Emily ; Fitzsimmons, Sara ; Henry, Nathan ; Drautz-Moses, Daniela ; Noorai, Rooksana E.; Ficklin, Stephen ; Saski, Christopher ; Mandal, Mihir ; Wagner, Tyler K.; Zembower, Nicole ; Bodénès, Catherine ; Holliday, Jason ; Westbrook, Jared ; Lasky, Jesse ; Hebard, Frederick V; Schuster, Stephan C.; Abbott, Albert G.; Carlson, John E. 2020. A reference genome assembly and adaptive trait analysis of Castanea mollissima ‘Vanuxem,’ a source of resistance to chestnut blight in restoration breeding.
- Islam-Faridi, Nurul ; Mason, Mary E.; Koch, Jennifer L.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2020. Cytogenetics of Fraxinus mandshurica and F. quadrangulata: ploidy determination and rDNA analysis.
- Butnor, John R.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Maier, Christopher A.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2020. Intra-annual variation in soil C, N and nutrients pools after prescribed fire in a Mississippi longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) plantation.
- Islam-Faridi, Nurul ; Sakhanokho, Hamidou F.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2020. New chromosome number and cyto-molecular characterization of the African Baobab (Adansonia digitata L.) - “The Tree of Life”.
- Conrad, Anna ; Yu, Jiali ; Staton, Margaret ; Audergon, Jean-Marc ; Roch, Guillaume ; Decroocq, Veronique ; Knagge, Kevin ; Chen, Huadong ; Zhebentyayeva, Tetyana ; Liu, Zongrang ; Dardick, Christopher ; Nelson, C Dana; Abbott, Albert G. 2019. Association of the phenylpropanoid pathway with dormancy and adaptive trait variation in apricot (Prunus armeniaca).
- Zhebentyayeva, Tetyana N.; Sisco, Paul H.; Georgi, Laura L.; Jeffers, Steven N.; Perkins, M. Taylor; James, Joseph B.; Hebard, Frederick V; Saski, Christopher ; Nelson, C. Dana; Abbott, Albert G. 2019. Dissecting resistance to Phytophthora cinnamomi in interspecific hybrid chestnut crosses using sequence-based genotyping and QTL mapping.
- Li, Xiaoshu ; Holmes, Thomas P.; Boyle, Kevin J.; Crocker, Ellen V; Nelson, C. Dana. 2019. Hedonic analysis of forest pest invasion: the Case of emerald ash borer.
- Potter, Kevin M.; Jetton, Robert M.; Campbell, Lia; Hastings, John M.; Josserand, Sedley A.; Hipkins, Valerie D.; Nelson, C. Dana; Dvorak, William S. 2019. Molecular genetics and the effort to conserve southern hemlocks decimated by the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid.
- Conrad, Anna ; Crocker, Ellen ; Li, Xiaoshu ; Thomas, William ; Ochuodho, Thomas ; Holmes, Thomas ; Nelson, C Dana. 2019. Threats to oaks in the eastern United States: Perceptions and expectations of experts.
- Crocker, Ellen ; Condon, Bradford ; Almsaeed, Abdullah ; Jarret, Benjamin ; Nelson, C. Dana; Abbott, Albert G.; Main, Doreen ; Staton, Margaret . 2019. TreeSnap: A citizen science app connecting tree enthusiasts and forest scientists.
- Condon, Bradford J.; Crocker, Ellen V; Almsaeed, Abdullah ; Abbott, Albert G.; Nelson, C. Dana; Staton, Margaret . 2019. TreeSnap: a citizen science tool to help our forests.
- Lu, Mengmeng; Krutovsky, Konstantin V.; Nelson, C. Dana; West, Jason B.; Reilly, Nathalie A.; Loopstra, Carol A. 2017. Association genetics of growth and adaptive traits in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) using whole-exome-discovered polymorphisms.
- Gailing, Oliver; Nelson, C. Dana. 2017. Genetic variation patterns of American chestnut populations at EST-SSRs.
- Nelson, C. Dana; Koch, Jennifer L. 2017. Institute of forest tree breeding: Improvement and gene conservation of iconic tree species in the 21st Century.
- Potter, Kevin M.; Campbell, Lia; Josserand, Sedley A.; Nelson, C. Dana; Jetton, Robert M. 2017. Population isolation results in low genetic variation and high differentiation in Carolina hemlock (tsuga caroliniana), an imperiled southern Appalachian conifer.
- Potter, Kevin M.; Campbell, Angelia Rose; Josserand, Sedley A.; Nelson, C. Dana; Jetton, Robert M. 2017. Population isolation results in unexpectedly high differentiation in Carolina hemlock (Tsuga caroliniana), an imperiled southern Appalachian endemic conifer.
- Butnor, John R.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2016. Changes in soil chemistry six months after prescribed fire in a longleaf pine plantation in Mississippi.
- Lu, Mengmeng; Krutovsky, Konstantin V.; Nelson, C. Dana; Koralewski, Tomasz E.; Byram, Thomas D.; Loopstra, Carol A. 2016. Exome genotyping, linkage disequilibrium and population structure in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.).
- Stewart, John F.; Will, Rodney; Crane, Barbara S.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2016. Occurrence of shortleaf x loblolly pine hybrids in shortleaf pine orchards: Implications for ecosystem restoration.
- Bradley, J.C.; Will, R.E.; Stewart, J.F.; Nelson, C.D.; Guldin, J.M. 2016. Post-fire resprouting of shortleaf pine is facilitated by a morphological trait but fire eliminates shortleaf x loblolly pine hybrid seedlings.
- Guldin, Jim; Rosson, James F.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2016. Restoration of longleaf pine--the status of our knowledge.
- Stewart, John F.; Will, Rodney E.; Crane, Barbara S.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2016. The genetics of shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata mill.) with implications for restoration and management.
- Westbrook, Jared W.; Chhatre, Vikram E.; Wu, Le-Shin; Chamala, Srikar; Neves, Leandro Gomide; Munoz, Patricio; Martinez-Garcia, Pedro J.; Neale, David B.; Kirst, Matias; Mockaitis, Keithanne; Nelson, C. Dana; Peter, Gary F.; Davis, John M.; Echt, Craig S. 2015. A consensus genetic map for Pinus taeda and Pinus elliottii and extent of linkage disequilibrium in two genotype-phenotype discovery populations of Pinua taeda.
- Dalgleish, Harmony; Nelson, C. Dana; Scrivani, John; Jacobs, Douglass. 2015. Consequences of shifts in abundance and distribution of American chestnut for restoration of a foundation forest tree.
- Amerson, Henry; Nelson, C. Dana; Kubisiak, Thomas L.; Kuhlman, E.George; Garcia, Saul. 2015. Identification of nine pathotype-specific genes conferring resistance to fusiform rust in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.).
- Will, Rodney E.; Lilly, Curtis J.; Stewart, John F.; Nelson, C. Dana; Tauer, Charles G. 2015. Is there a morphological or physiological explanation for the dramatic increase in hybridization between loblolly and shortleaf pine?.
- Nelson, C. Dana; Boyd, Gwendolyn; Rousseau, Randall J.; Crane, Barbara S.; Echt, Craig S.; Johnsen, Kurt H. 2015. Participatory genetic improvement: longleaf pine.
- Stewart, John F; Will, Rodney E; Robertson, Kevin M; Nelson, Dana. 2014. Frequent fire protects shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata) from introgression by loblolly pine (P. taeda).
- Westbrook, Jared W.; Resende Jr., Marcio F. R.; Munoz, Patricio; Walker, Alejandro R.; Wegrzyn, Jill L.; Nelson, C. Dana; Neale, David B.; Kirst, Matias; Gezan, Salvador A.; Peter, Gary F.; Davis, John M. 2013. Association genetics of oleoresin flow in loblolly pine: discovering genes and predicting phenotype for improved resistance to bark beetles and bioenergy potential.
- Zhebentyayeva, T.; Chandra, A.; Abbott, A.G.; Staton, M.E.; Olukolu, B.A.; Hebard, F.V.; Georgi, L.L.; Jeffers, S.N.; Sisco, P.H.; James, J.B.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2013. Genetic and genomic resources for mapping resistance to Phytophthora cinnamomi in chestnut.
- Vose, James M.; Wear, David N.; Mayfield, Albert E., III.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2013. Hemlock woolly adelgid in the southern Appalachians: Control strategies, ecological impacts, and potential management responses.
- Stewart, John F.; Tauer, Charles G.; Guldin, James M.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2013. Hybridization in naturally regenerated shortleaf pine as affected by the distance to nearby artificially regenerated stands of loblolly pine.
- Nelson, C. Dana; Peter, Gary F.; McKeand, Steven E.; Jokela, Eric J.; Rummer, Robert B.; Groom, Les; Johnsen, Kurt H. 2013. Pines.
- Nelson, C. Dana; Powell, W.A.; Maynard, C.A.; Baier, K.M.; Newhouse, A.; Merkle, S.A.; Nairn, C.J.; Kong, L.; Carlson, J.E.; Addo-Quaye, C.; Staton, M.E.; Hebard, F.V.; Georgi, L.L.; Abbott, A.G.; Olukolu, B.A.; Zhebentyayeva, T. 2013. The Forest Health Initiative, American chestnut (Castanea dentata) as a model for forest tree restoration: Biological Research Program.
- Butnor, John R.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2012. Exploring genetic diversity, physiologic expression and carbon dynamics in longleaf pine: a new study installation at the Harrison Experimental Forest.
- Tauer, Charles G.; Stewart, John F.; Will, Rodney E.; Lilly, Curtis J.; Guldin, James M.; Nelson, C. Dana. 2012. Hybridization Leads to Loss of Genetic Integrity in Shortleaf Pine: Unexpected Consequences of Pine Management and Fire Suppression.
- Butnor, John R.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Sanchez, Felipe G; Nelson, C. Dana. 2012. Impacts of pine species, stump removal, cultivation, and fertilization on soil properties half a century after planting.
- Olukolu, Bode A.; Nelson, C. Dana; Abbott, Albert G. 2012. Mapping resistance to Phytophthora cinnamomi in chestnut (Castanea sp.).
- Nelson, C. Dana; Rousseau, Randall J; Adams, Joshua P; Yuceer, M. Cetin. 2012. Report on the 31st Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference (SFTIC).
- Kubisiak, Thomas L; Anderson, Claire L; Amerson, Henry V; Smith, Jason A; Davis, John M; Nelson, C Dana. 2011. A genomic map enriched for markers linked to Avr1 in Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme.
- Echt, Craig S; Saha, Surya; Deemer, Dennis L; Nelson, C Dana. 2011. Microsatellite DNA in genomic survey sequences and UniGenes of loblolly pine.
- Anderson, Claire L; Kubisiak, Thomas L; Nelson, C Dana; Smith, Jason A; Davis, John M. 2010. Genome size variation in the pine fusiform rust pathogen Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme as determined by flow cytometry.
- lslam-Faridi, M.N.; Nelson, C.D.; DiFazio, S.P.; Gunter, L.E.; Tuskan, G.A. 2009. Cytogenetic Analysis of Populus trichocarpa - Ribosomal DNA, Telomere Repeat Sequence, and Marker-selected BACs.
- Islam Faridi, MN; Nelson, CD; Sisco, PH; Kubisiak, TL; Hebard, FV; Paris, RL; Phillips, RL. 2009. Cytogenetic analysis of American chestnut (Castanea dentata) using fluorescent in situ hybridization.
- Stelzer, H.E.; Doudrick, Robert L.; Kubisiak, Thomas L.; Nelson, C. Dana. 1999. Prescreening slash pine and Cronartium pedigrees for evaluation of complementary gene action in fusiform rust disease.
- Kubisiak, Thomas L.; Hebard, F.V.; Nelson, C. Dana; Zhang, Jiansu; Bernatzky, R.; Huang, H.; Anagnostakis, S.L.; Doudrick, R.L. 1997. Molecular mapping of resistance to blight in an interspecific cross in the genus Castanea.
- Best Map Yet of the Pine Genome (2014)
- Southern pine plantations supply 60 percent of wood products in the United States and 18 percent worldwide. These percentages can increase with better understanding of the gene combinations that make these trees grow well. To make this happen, Forest Service and university scientists worked together to construct the most complete pine tree genetic map so far.
- Early Transfer of DNA from Insects to Pines (2016)
- Repetitive DNA sequences move across species boundaries relatively often, but rarely occur between kingdoms; however, Forest Service scientists and partners have identified and characterized such a transfer between insects and conifers and determined that it occurred about 340 million years ago. They concluded that this sequence was one of the oldest transfers and the only known transfer that has occurred between animals and plants.
- Frequent Fire Maintains Shortleaf Pine as a Distinct Species (2015)
- Fire effectively selects against loblolly pine genes in mixed stands of loblolly and shortleaf pines and appears to be required to maintain the integrity of shortleaf pine as a species.
- Identification of Fusiform Rust Resistance Genes in loblolly Pine (2015)
- Knowledge of rust resistance genes provides tree breeders and forest managers with efficient tools for minimizing losses to fusiform rust, a fungal disease that causes millions of dollars of damage to southern pine plantations each year. Forest Service researchers are identifying protective genes and developing tests that could eventually allow managers to select resistant planting stock.
- Shortleaf pine genetics, hybridization, and restoration (2017)
- Shortleaf pine is a priority species for restoration in the eastern U.S. Understanding the genetics of the species is important for restoration planning and implementation, as recent genetics work has shown increased rates of shortleaf- loblolly pine hybridization as a potential restoration issue. DNA testing of orchard and nursery stocks for hybridity can insure purer shortleaf pine planting stock to meet the needs of natural resource managers who are restoring shortleaf pine ecosystems.
- The Forest Health Initiative (2011)
- The Forest Health Initiative is a new government-university-industry partnership dedicated to developing workable solutions for improving forest health through the responsible development and application of biotechnology. As a test case, Forest Service researchers are collaborating with several university labs on developing blight resistant American chestnut seedlings.