Jeff W. AtkinsResearch Biologist
New Ellenton, SC 29809
- Forest structure and structural diversity relationships to growth, nutrient cycling, animal habitat, and climate change response
- The spatiotemporal evolution of forest structure and diversity as a function of disturbance mechanisms—specifically focusing on moderate severity disturbance and co-occurring disturbances.
- Development and application of novel remote sensing techniques in ecology and forestry (e.g. terrestrial laser scanning, UAVs, hyperspectral, RGB imagery) to measure forest structure (e.g. structural complexity, stand structure).
Forest structure; lidar; UAV; GEDI; remote sensing; watershed biogeochemistry; disturbance ecology; forest microclimates.
- Ph.D. Environmental Sciences in Ecology, watershed biogeochemistry, remote sensing, 2016
- University of Virginia
- B.A.English in Literature, 1999
- Western Carolina University
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Virginia Commonwealth University
- American Geophysical Union (AGU), (2012—Current)
Awards and Recognition
- Trout Unlimited Award, 2014
- Presented by the Trout Unlimited Virginia Area Council
- Atkins, Jeff W.; Stovall, Atticus E.L.; Alberto Silva, Carlos . 2022. Open-Source tools in R for forestry and forest ecology.
- Atkins, Jeff W.; Walter, Jonathan A.; Stovall, Atticus E. L.; Fahey, Robert T.; Gough, Christopher M. 2022. Power law scaling relationships link canopy structural complexity and height across forest types.
- Silva, Carlos Alberto; Hudak, Andrew T.; Vierling, Lee A.; Valbuena, Ruben ; Cardil, Adrian ; Mohan, Midhun ; de Almeida, Danilo Roberti Alves; Broadbent, Eben N.; Almeyda Zambrano, Angelica M.; Wilkinson, Ben ; Sharma, Ajay ; Drake, Jason B.; Medley, Paul B.; Vogel, Jason G.; Prata, Gabriel Atticciati; Atkins, Jeff W.; Hamamura, Caio ; Jonson, Daniel J.; Klauberg, Carine . 2022. Treetop: A shiny‐based application and R package for extracting forest information from LiDAR data for ecologists and conservationists.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /srv/web/www.srs.fs.usda.gov/staff/viewemployee.php on line 529