Fort Valley Experimental Forest-A Century of Research 1908-2008 (P-53)This article contains other documents. View all titles contained within this article here.
One hundred years ago, the USFS began its forest research program in a two-room cabin near Flagstaff, Arizona, with one staff person, Gustaf A. Pearson. The site became known as the Fort Valley Experiment Station and was the first in a national network of research sites developed to address uncertainties regarding the rehabilitation and conservation for forest and range lands in the nation. Fort Valley's name has changed over the century and for today's reader, Fort Valley Experimental Forest (FVEF) is used. The conference recognized pioneering silvicultural, range, and watershed research and how the work continues today. Invited papers and contributed poster papers were presented during the first day of the conference. The second day's schedule included field trips and the dedication of new monuments at the historic Fort Valley Experimental Forest headquarters. The conference consisted of USFS retired researchers, current scientists, and students that addressed issues affecting the perpetuation of the ponderosa pine forest of the Southwest.