Tax treatment of government cost-share payments

  • Authors: Siegel, William C.
  • Publication Year: 2005
  • Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
  • Source: National Woodlands, Volume 28(2): 22-24


Woodland owners who receive a cost-share payment from a federal or state government program generally must report the payment as part of their gross income. However, under the provisions of Section 126 of the internal Revenue Code, the recipients can then choose to exclude from their income all or part of such payments that meet two requirements.

  • Citation: Siegel, William C. 2005. Tax treatment of government cost-share payments. National Woodlands, Volume 28(2): 22-24
  • Posted Date: January 1, 2000
  • Modified Date: August 22, 2006
  • Print Publications Are No Longer Available

    In an ongoing effort to be fiscally responsible, the Southern Research Station (SRS) will no longer produce and distribute hard copies of our publications. Many SRS publications are available at cost via the Government Printing Office (GPO). Electronic versions of publications may be downloaded, printed, and distributed.

    Publication Notes

    • This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
    • Our online publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact the SRS webmaster if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
    • To view this article, download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.