The 10th IUFRO International Workshop on Uneven-aged Silviculture
Little Rock, Arkansas, USA • 31 May–2 June 2016

Visa Requirements

Do I need a Visa to enter the U.S. and if so, how do I get one?

All non-U.S. citizens are required to have a U.S. visa to enter the United States. You may apply for a visa (usually) no more than 60 days in advance of your travel date. After you have registered for the IUFRO World Congress, a visa support letter will be generated in your name, which you may use to apply for a visa. For more information on obtaining a visa, please visit Relevant visas for this workshop include:

  • A-2 visa (officials and government employees required by home government)
    • Government official representing your government, coming to the United States based on written request of your country to perform official, government related duties.
    • Most delegates will not be eligible for this type of visa.
  • B-1/B-2 visa (business/tourist visa)
    • This is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the U.S. temporarily for business (B-1) or for pleasure or tourism (B-2). For more information, visit
    • The majority of our delegates will be eligible for this type of visa.
  • Visa Waiver Program
    • If your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program, you are not required to obtain a visa prior to your visit. The list of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program may be found here. You must, however, be authorized under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. Further information and the application may be found here.

How do I apply for a non-immigrant visa?

You can visit the Consular Electronic Application Center to start the application process once you have received the confirmation letter from the Program Committee of the 10th IUFRO International Workshop on Uneven-aged Silviculture

Do I have to pay any Visa Fees?

Yes, the non-immigrant visa application processing fee for a B-1/B-2 which is non-refundable, is $160.00.

My visa application has been refused. Can I get my visa application fee back?

No, this is a non-refundable visa application fee.

What happens if I am refused a U.S. visa and have already registered for the IUFRO workshop?

IUFRO has a liberal refund policy for delegates who are denied visas. With proof of your declined visa request, you will receive a full refund of your registration fees and all other paid ticketed events up to 15 May 2016. After that date, 50% of the registration fee will be refunded. You are responsible for cancelling your own flights, hotels and other travel reservations.

How can I find out how long I am authorized to stay in the U.S.?

The visa in your passport gives you the permission to request admission to the U.S. The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States, and determine how long a traveler may stay. If you are allowed to enter the U.S., the CBP official will determine the length of your visit. In most cases, the duration of status will correspond with the nature of your visit.

If my old expired passport still has a valid non-immigrant visa, do I need to apply for a new visa in my new passport?

No. If your visa is still valid you can travel to the U.S. with your two passports, as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel.

What is Administrative Processing?

If questions arise with the Consulate Officer that cannot be resolved during the interview process, your visa application may require further administrative processing. Applicants are advised of this requirement during their meeting. Most administrative processing is resolved within 60 days of the visa interview.