This research has been a continuing interest of the unit, funded largely from internal funds.
Projects and Products
Southern pine beetle population dynamics and control
- Gumpertz, M.L., C.-T. Wu and J.M. Pye. 2000. Logistic regression for southern pine beetle outbreaks with spatial and temporal autocorrelation. Forest Science 46:95-107
- Price, T.S.; Doggett, C.A.; Pye, J.M. & Smith, B. 1998. A history of southern pine beetle outbreaks in the southeastern United States. Macon, GA: Georgia Forestry Commission.
- Pye, J.M. 1993. Regional dynamics of southern pine beetle populations. In: A.M. Liebhold & H.R. Barrett (Eds.) Proceedings: Spatial Analysis and Forest Pest Management. USDA Forest Service Gen. Tech. Rpt. NE-175. Radnor, PA: Northeastern Forest Experiment Station.
- Pye, J.M. 1993. A spot-growth model for the southern pine beetle. In: A.M. Liebhold & H.R. Barrett (Eds.) Proceedings: Spatial Analysis and Forest Pest Management. USDA Forest Service Gen. Tech. Rpt. NE-175. Radnor, PA: Northeastern Forest Experiment Station.
- de Steiguer, J.E., R.L. Hedden and J.M. Pye. 1987. Optimal level of expenditure to control the southern pine beetle. USDA Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station, Research Paper SE-263.
Effects of southern pine beetle on timber markets
- Prestemon, J.P.; Pye, J.M. and Holmes, T.P.. 2001. Timber economics of natural catastrophes. Pages 132-141. In: M. Pelkki (ed.) Proceedings of the 2000 Southern Forest Economics Workshop. Lexington, KY.
- Holmes. T.P. 1991. Price and welfare effects of catastrophic forest damage from southern pine beetle epidemics. Forest Science 37(2):500-516
Benefits and costs of fusiform rust research
- Cubbage, F.W.; Pye, J.M.; Holmes, T.P. and Wagner, J.E. 2000. An economic evaluation of fusiform rust protection research. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 24(2):77-85
- Wagner, J.E. and Holmes, T.P. 1999. Estimating economic gains for landowners due to time-dependent changes in biotechnology. Forest Science 45(2):163-170.
- Pye, J.M.; Wagner, J.E.; Holmes, T.P. and Cubbage, F.W.. 1997. Positive Returns from Investment in Fusiform Rust Research. USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station, Research Paper SRS-4. 61p.