Our mission is to evaluate legal, tax, social, and economic influences on forest resource management and investment, and to develop guidelines that will support the sustainable management of forests. Learn more about our unit’s mission →
News & Events
Every state in the U.S. has a property tax program that lowers taxes for forest landowners. Greg Frey and Stephanie Snyder of the USDA Forest Service, with Justin Meier, Michael Kilgore, and Charlie Blinn of the University of Minnesota recently published two papers that build on their previous analysis of all fifty state property tax programs.
- Global timber investments, 2005 to 2017
Cubbage, Frederick ; Kanieski, Bruno ; Rubilar, Rafael ; Bussoni, Adriana ; Olmos, Virginia Morales; Balmelli, Gustavo ; Donagh, Patricio Mac; Lord, Roger ; Hernández, Carmelo ; Zhang, Pu ; Huang, Jin ; Korhonen, Jaana ; Yao, Richard ; Hall, Peter ; Del La Torre, Rafael ; Diaz-Balteiro, Luis ; Carrero, Omar ; Monges, Elizabeth ; Thu, Ha Tran Thi; Frey, Gregory ; Howard, Mike ; Chavet, Michael ; Mochan, Shaun ; Hoeflich, Vitor Afonso; Chudy, Rafal ; Maass, David ; Chizmar, Stephanie ; Abt, Robert
- Searching for win-win forest outcomes: Learning-by-doing, financial viability, and income growth for a community-based forest management cooperative in the Brazilian Amazon
Humphries, Shoana ; Holmes, Thomas ; Andrade, Dárlison Fernandes Carvalho de; McGrath, David ; Dantas, Jeremias Batista.
- Roundwood use by southern wood pellet mills: Findings from timber product output mill surveys
Brandeis, Consuelo ; Abt, Karen Lee.
- Economics of WUI/Wildfire Prevention and Education
Butry, David T.; Prestemon, Jeff
- How to fight against southern pine beetle epidemics: An insurance approach
Chen, Xuan ; Goodwin, Barry K.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.