Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are currently OPEN.
This story map highlights the importance of southern State and private forests in providing drinking water to downstream communities. See the related publication here.
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, ext. 111.
News & Events
Most of the 19 southern experimental forests were founded in the 1930s or 1940s. Over the past five years, they have become something new: the SRS Experimental Forest Network. “Each experimental forest is a regional asset,” says Stephanie Laseter, a USDA Forest Service scientist and network co-lead. Johnny Boggs is also a co-lead.
- Estimates of precipitation IDF curves and design discharges for road-crossing drainge structures: Case study in four small forested watersheds in the Southeastern US
Amatya, D. M.; Tian, S.; Marion, D. A.; Caldwell, P.; Laseter, S.; Youssef, M. A.; Grace, J. M.; Chescheir, G. M.; Panda, S.; Ouyang, Y.; Sun, G.; Vose, J. M.
2021 Journal of Hydrologic Engineering
- Impacts of invasive species in terrestrial and aquatic systems in the United States.
Mayfield, A.E., S.J. Seybold, W.R. Haag, M.T. Johnson, B.K. Kerns, J.C. Kilgo, D.J. Larkin, R.D. Lucardi, B.D. Moltzan, D.E. Pearson, J.D. Rothlisberger, J.D. Schardt, M.K. Schwartz, and M.K. Young.
2021 Invasive Species in Forests and Rangelands of the United States: A Comprehensive Science Synthesis for the United States Forest Sector. Springer International Publishing, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Watershed‐scale vegetation, water quantity, and water quality responses to wildfire in the southern Appalachian mountain region, United States
Caldwell, Peter V.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Liu, Ning; Vose, James M.; Zietlow, David R.; Knoepp, Jennifer D.
2020 Hydrological Processes
- Trade-off between watershed water yield and ecosystem productivity along elevation gradients on a complex terrain in southwestern China
Liu, Ning; Sun, Pengsen; Caldwell, Peter V.; Harper, Richard; Liu, Shirong; Sun, Ge.
2020 Journal of Hydrology
- Reducing water scarcity by improving water productivity in the United States
Marston, Landon T.; Lamsal, Gambhir; Ancona, Zachary H.; Caldwell, Peter; Richter, Brian D.; Ruddell, Benjamin L.; Rushforth, Richard R.; Davis, Kyle F.
2020 Environmental Research Letters