Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are currently CLOSED.
Western North Carolina Hunting Seasons - Macon County, NC
|Deer Season - 2019|
|Archery||September 07 – September 29|
|October 13 – November 24|
|December 15 – January 01 (2020)|
|Black powder||September 30 – October 12|
|Gun||November 25 – December 14|
|Bear Season - 2019|
|October 14 – November 23|
|December 16 – January 01 (2020)|
|Turkey Season - 2020|
|April 04 – May 9|
|Feral Hog and Other Small Game|
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, ext. 111.
News & Events
Millions of people depend on the forests of the Southern Appalachian Mountains for drinking water. As climate, land use, and land cover changes alter the forest structure in these mountains, they also alter water budgets. “The Southern Appalachian Mountains are a humid montane environment – they are essentially a cooler version of the tropics,” explains USDA Forest Service project leader and research ecologist Chelcy Miniat. “With so much rain coming in, it is important to understand how the forests use the water, especially when the remainder becomes the South’s drinking water supply.”
- Hydrologic modeling for flow-ecology science in the Southeastern United States and Puerto Rico
Caldwell, Peter V; Kennen, Jonathan G.; Hain, Ernie F.; Nelson, Stacy A.C.; Sun, Ge ; McNulty, Steve G.
- Rainfall partitioning varies across a forest age chronosequence in the southern Appalachian Mountains
Brantley, Steven T.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Bolstad, Paul V
- On the use of mean monthly runoff to predict the flow–duration curve in ungauged catchments
Chouaib, Wafa ; Alila, Younes ; Caldwell, Peter V
- Tree resin flow dynamics during an experimentally induced attack by Ips avulsus , I. calligraphus , and I. grandicollis
Denham, Sander O.; Coyle, David R.; Oishi, A. Christopher; Bullock, Bronson P.; Heliövaara, Kari ; Novick, Kimberly A.
- Lack of forest tree seedling recruitment and enhanced tree and shrub growth characterizes post-Tsuga canadensis mortality forests in the southern Appalachians
Dharmadi, Sandra N.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Miniat, Chelcy F.