Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are currently OPEN.
This story map highlights the importance of southern State and private forests in providing drinking water to downstream communities. See the related publication here.
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, ext. 111.
News & Events
Most of the 19 southern experimental forests were founded in the 1930s or 1940s. Over the past five years, they have become something new: the SRS Experimental Forest Network. “Each experimental forest is a regional asset,” says Stephanie Laseter, a USDA Forest Service scientist and network co-lead. Johnny Boggs is also a co-lead.
- Black locust allometric equations: improved allometric equations for black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) in the Coweeta Basin
Scott, Joel L.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Motes, Jessie; Ottinger, Sarah L.; Wurzburger, Nina; Elliott, Katherine J.
2021 Research Paper SRS-64
- Forested lands dominate drinking water supply in the conterminous United States
Liu, Ning; Caldwell, Peter V; Dobbs, G Rebecca; Miniat, Chelcy Ford; Bolstad, Paul V; Nelson, Stacy A C; Sun, Ge.
2021 Environmental Research Letters
- Land cover change-induced decline in terrestrial gross primary production over the conterminous United States from 2001 to 2016
Zhang, Yulong; Song, Conghe; Hwang, Taehee; Novick, Kimberly; Coulston, John W.; Vose, James; Dannenberg, Matthew P.; Hakkenberg, Christopher R.; Mao, Jiafu; Woodcock, Curtis E.
2021 Agricultural and Forest Meteorology
- Estimates of Precipitation IDF Curves and Design Discharges for Road-Crossing Drainage Structures: Case Study in Four Small Forested Watersheds in the Southeastern US
Amatya, D. M.; Tian, S.; Marion, D. A.; Caldwell, P.; Laseter, S.; Youssef, M. A.; Grace, J. M.; Chescheir, G. M.; Panda, S.; Ouyang, Y.; Sun, G.; Vose, J. M.
2021 Journal of Hydrologic Engineering
- Investigating the effect of lab bias on long-term stream chemistry data
Brown, Cindi L.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Knoepp, Jennifer D.
2021 Hydrology Research