Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are currently OPEN.
This story map highlights the importance of southern State and private forests in providing drinking water to downstream communities. See the related publication here.
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, ext. 111.
News & Events
Most of the 19 southern experimental forests were founded in the 1930s or 1940s. Over the past five years, they have become something new: the SRS Experimental Forest Network. “Each experimental forest is a regional asset,” says Stephanie Laseter, a USDA Forest Service scientist and network co-lead. Johnny Boggs is also a co-lead.
- Climate change challenges efficiency of inter-basin water transfers in alleviating water stress
Duan, Kai; Caldwell, Peter V.; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steven G.; Qin, Yue; Chen, Xiaohong; Liu, Ning.
2022 Environmental Research Letters
- Inter‐basin transfers extend the benefits of water from forests to population centers across the conterminous U.S.
Liu, Ning; Dobbs, Rebecca; Caldwell, Peter V.; Miniat, Chelcy Ford; Sun, Ge; Duan, Kai; Nelson, Stacy A. C.; Bolstad, Paul V.; Carlson, Christopher P.
2022 Water Resources Research. 58:
- Effects of Rhododendron removal and prescribed fire on bees and plants in the southern Appalachians
Ulyshen, Michael; Elliott, Katherine; Scott, Joel; Horn, Scott; Clinton, Patsy; Liu, Ning; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Caldwell, Peter; Oishi, Chris; Knoepp, Jennifer; Bolstad, Paul.
2022 Ecology and Evolution. 12(3): 250. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.8677.
- The drought response of eastern US oaks in the context of their declining abundance
Novick, Kimberly; Jo, Insu; D
- Forests to Faucets 2.0: Connecting Forests, Water, and Communities
Mack, Erika; Lilja, Rebecca; Claggett, Sally; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter.
2022 Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-99. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Washington Office.