Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are currently OPEN.
This story map highlights the importance of southern State and private forests in providing drinking water to downstream communities. See the related publication here.
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, ext. 111.
News & Events
Most of the 19 southern experimental forests were founded in the 1930s or 1940s. Over the past five years, they have become something new: the SRS Experimental Forest Network. “Each experimental forest is a regional asset,” says Stephanie Laseter, a USDA Forest Service scientist and network co-lead. Johnny Boggs is also a co-lead.
- Investigating the effect of lab bias on long-term stream chemistry data
Brown, Cindi L.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Knoepp, Jennifer D.
2021 Hydrology Research
- The Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory and the Coweeta LTER Project
Miniat, Chelcy Ford; Oishi, Andrew Christopher; Bolstad, Paul V.; Jackson, C. Rhett; Liu, Ning; Love, Jason P.; Pringle, Catherine M.; Solomon, Kelsey J.; Wurzburger, Nina.
2021 Hydrological Processes
- Effects of Rhododendron removal on soil bacterial and fungal communities in southern Appalachian forests
Osburn, Ernest D.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Barrett, J.E.
2021 Forest Ecology and Management
- Do crayfish affect stream ecosystem response to riparian vegetation removal?
Dudley, Maura P.; Solomon, Kelsey; Wenger, Seth; Jackson, C. Rhett; Freeman, Mary; Elliott, Katherine J.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Pringle, Catherine M.
2021 Freshwater Biology
- Time lags: Insights from the U S long term ecological research network
Rastetter, Edward B.; Ohman, Mark D.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Rehage, J. S.; Rivera‐Monroy, Victor H.; Boucek, R. E.; Castañeda‐Moya, Edward; Danielson, Tess M.; Gough, Laura; Groffman, Peter M.; Jackson, C. Rhett; Miniat, Chelcy Ford; Shaver, Gaius R.