Ball Creek Road (FS 83) and Shope Fork Road (FS 751) are currently OPEN.
This story map highlights the importance of southern State and private forests in providing drinking water to downstream communities. See the related publication here.
For information on tours and workshops, please contact Randy Fowler at 828-524-2128, ext. 111.
News & Events
Most of the 19 southern experimental forests were founded in the 1930s or 1940s. Over the past five years, they have become something new: the SRS Experimental Forest Network. “Each experimental forest is a regional asset,” says Stephanie Laseter, a USDA Forest Service scientist and network co-lead. Johnny Boggs is also a co-lead.
- Planted longleaf pine stands in the face of a tropical cyclone
Bigelow, Seth W.; Whelan, Andrew W.; Cannon, Jeffrey B.; Starr, Gregory; Staudhammer, Christina L.; Kenney, Gavin R.; Brantley, Steven T.
2022 In: Willis, John L.; Self, Andrew B.; Siegert, Courtney M., eds. Proceedings of the 21st Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-268. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station: pp.136–138.
- Quantifying the role of National Forest System and other forested lands in providing surface drinking water supply for the conterminous United States
Liu, Ning; Dobbs, G. Rebecca; Caldwell, Peter V.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Sun, Ge; Duan, Kai; Nelson, Stacy A.C.; Bolstad, Paul V.; Carlson, Christopher P.
2022 Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-100. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Washington Office.
- Impacts of Multiple Hurricanes and Tropical Storms on Watershed Hydrological Processes in the Florida Panhandle
Ouyang, Ying; Grace, Johnny M.; Parajuli, Prem B.; Caldwell, Peter V.
- Extreme precipitation-based vulnerability assessment of road-crossing drainage structures in forested watersheds using an integrated environmental modeling approach
Panda, S.S.; Amatya, D.M.; Grace, J.M.; Caldwell, P.; Marion, D.A.
2022 Environmental Modelling & Software
- Impact of Climate Change on Hydrochemical Processes at Two High-Elevation Forested Watersheds in the Southern Appalachians, United States
Huang, Hailong; Wu, Wei; Elliott, Katherine; Miniat, Chelcy; Driscoll, Charles.
2022 Frontiers in Forests and Global Change