Ecosystem Services Ecosystem services can be defined simply as the benefits provided by forested landscapes. In addition to supplying wood products, fuel, medicine, and recreation, forests:
• Filter and clean both water and air
• Absorb and detoxify pollutants
• Provide habitat to a huge diversity of life forms
• Take up carbon dioxide and produce oxygen
• Regulate climate by sequestering carbon
• Maintain the health of soil
You can learn more about ecosystem services at: www.fs.fed.us/ecosystemservices/.