The Center for Integrated Forest Science (CIFS), a pioneering research program within Forest Research and Development, addresses complex questions that require science to inform natural resource management and policy decisions. Most of these questions require understanding biophysical and human dimensions, and fusing science from the natural and social sciences.
Learn more about our unit and the work we’re doing at forests4thefuture.info.
News & Events
Standing on the banks of the Yadkin River in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, the river tumbles peacefully by. The river water has made a long journey: it originated as rainfall deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. It flows through the Uwharrie, Sumter, and Francis Marion National Forests. It travels through Winston-Salem, Charlotte, and Charleston – and into people’s faucets and to farmers’ fields.
- Evolving efficiency of inter-basin water transfers in regional water stress alleviation
Duan, Kai; Qu, Shen; Liu, Ning; Dobbs, Gladys R.; Caldwell, Peter V.; Sun, Ge.
- Breeding bird abundance and species diversity greatest in high-severity wildfire patches in central hardwood forests
greenberg, Cathryn H.; Moorman, Christopher E.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Martin, Katherine; Hopey, Mark; Caldwell, Peter V.
- Quantifying the role of National Forest System and other forested lands in providing surface drinking water supply for the conterminous United States
Liu, Ning; Dobbs, G. Rebecca; Caldwell, Peter V.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Sun, Ge; Duan, Kai; Nelson, Stacy A.C.; Bolstad, Paul V.; Carlson, Christopher P.
- Review and Synthesis of Estimation Strategies to Meet Small Area Needs in Forest Inventory
Dettmann, Garret T.; Radtke, Philip J.; Coulston, John W.; Green, P. Corey; Wilson, Barry T.; Moisen, Gretchen G.
- Increased Precision in County-Level Volume Estimates in the United States National Forest Inventory With Area-Level Small Area Estimation
Cao, Qianqian; Dettmann, Garret T.; Radtke, Philip J.; Coulston, John W.; Derwin, Jill; Thomas, Valerie A.; Burkhart, Harold E.; Wynne, Randolph H.