The Center for Forested Wetlands Research is an interdisciplinary unit whose program is designed to develop, quantify and synthesize ecological information needed to sustainably manage and restore the structure, function and productivity of wetland-dominated forested landscapes. The Center is an integral component of the Forest Watershed Science Unit (SRS-RWU-4353) within the Southern Research Station’s Watershed Science Program.
The Center's work is conducted under the basic tenets of forest sustainability, and is intended to provide the data and tools necessary for managing forested wetland landscapes to sustain ecosystem functions, goods, and services for future generations. Specific applications are focused on issues associated with climate change, carbon cycling, bioenergy and landscape functions. The relevance of the research is regional, national, and international, although it is derived primarily from work in the Atlantic Coastal Plain of the southeastern United States.
News & Events
Bringing science from groundwater to surface
On May 3, 2022 the USDA Forest Service hosted a virtual Santee Experimental Forest Research Forum. More than 40 scientists, researchers, and other partners came together to discuss projects occurring on the Santee Experimental Forest.
- Santee Experimental Forest, Watershed 79: streamflow and water chemistry data
Amatya, Devendra M.; Trettin, Carl C.
- Effects of forest management practice (prescribed burning) on mercury transport: a case study in a paired experimental watershed in the lower Coastal Plain of South Carolina
Ku, Peijia; Tsui, Martin; Farmer, Troy; Chen, Huan; Amatya, Devendra; Trettin, Carl C.; Chow, Alex.
- Evaluating watershed-scale effects of longleaf pine restoration on water yield using a paired watershed and modeling approaches
Amatya, Devendra M.; Ssegane, Herbert; Hamidi, Mohamed D.; Trettin, Carl C.
- A hydrogeologic-landscapes framework for depressional-wetland vegetation in the Southeastern Coastal Plain, USA
De Steven, D.; Harrison, Charles A.
- Extreme precipitation-based vulnerability assessment of road-crossing drainage structures in forested watersheds using an integrated environmental modeling approach
Panda, S.S.; Amatya, D.M.; Grace, J.M.; Caldwell, P.; Marion, D.A.