The Center for Forested Wetlands Research is an interdisciplinary unit whose program is designed to develop, quantify and synthesize ecological information needed to sustainably manage and restore the structure, function and productivity of wetland-dominated forested landscapes. The Center is an integral component of the Forest Watershed Science Unit (RWU-4353) within the Southern Research Station’s Watershed Science Program.
The Center's work is conducted under the basic tenets of forest sustainability, and is intended to provide the data and tools necessary for managing forested wetland landscapes to sustain ecosystem functions, goods, and services for future generations. Specific applications are focused on issues associated with climate change, carbon cycling, bioenergy and landscape functions. The relevance of the research is regional, national, and international, although it is derived primarily from work in the Atlantic Coastal Plain of the southeastern United States.
News & Events
Deer-vehicle collisions are common, dangerous, and costly examples of human-wildlife conflict in the U.S. Targeted removal (sharpshooting) of deer that linger on the side of the road has proven effective in reducing such conflict in urban areas. USDA Forest Service research wildlife biologist John Kilgo, along with collaborators, tested this strategy in a secure, wooded area that is off-limits to the public.
- Estimates of precipitation IDF curves and design discharges for road-crossing drainge structures: Case study in four small forested watersheds in the Southeastern US
Amatya, D. M.; Tian, S.; Marion, D. A.; Caldwell, P.; Laseter, S.; Youssef, M. A.; Grace, J. M.; Chescheir, G. M.; Panda, S.; Ouyang, Y.; Sun, G.; Vose, J. M.
- Wetland and hydric soils [Chapter 6]
Trettin, Carl C.; Kolka, Randall K.; Marsh, Anne S.; Bansal, Sheel; Lilleskov, Erik A.; Megonigal, Patrick; Stelk, Marla J.; Lockaby, Graeme; D’Amore, David V.; MacKenzie, Richard A.; Tangen, Brian; Chimner, Rodney; Gries, James.
- Response of nutrients and sediment to hydrologic variables in switchgrass intercropped pine forest ecosystems on poorly drained soil
Muwamba, Augustine; Amatya, Devendra M.; Ssegane, Herbert; Chescheir, George M.; Appelboom, Timothy; Nettles, Jamie E.; Tollner, Ernest W.; Youssef, Mohamed A.; Walega, Andrzej; Birgand, Francois.
- Forest composition, fuel loading, and soil chemistry resulting from 50 years of forest management and natural disturbance in two southeastern Coastal Plain watersheds, USA
Coates, T. Adam; Johnson, Andrew; Aust, W. Michael; Hagan, Donald L.; Chow, Alex T.; Trettin, Carl.
- Long-term data–the key for evaluating runoff peak discharge estimation tools and parameters for watersheds on forest lands
Amatya, DM; Walega A.