775 Stone Blvd., Thompson Hall, Room 309
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Predicting stream discharge, groundwater flow, and sediment/nutrient transport in the Lower Mississippi River Alluvial Valley (LMRAV) as affected by agricultural/forest managements and climate change using watershed models such as HSPF and MODFLOW. Performing real-time monitoring of tree sap flux, soil water movement, stream discharge, groundwater flow, and water quantity in the soil-tree-stream-groundwater continuum. Analyzing the long-term meteorological, hydrological, and water quality data using HYDSTRA model and multi-variant statistical methods such as copula, flow/load duration curve, Mann-Kendall test, principal component analysis, and wavelet analysis. Developing and applying STELLA-based models to predict woody biomass production and CO2 emission from bioenergy plantations as affected by soil nutrient and water availability as well as by hydrological and climatic conditions. Developing and applying a STELLA-based model to simultaneously evaluate farm pond water availability and crop irrigation demand in the LMRAV.
- Oregon State University, Soil Science (Soil Physics), 1991
- Oregon State University, Soil Science (Soil Physics), 1987
- South China Agricultural University, Soil Chenistry , 1982
- American Institute of Hydrology, Professional Hydrologist (2002 - Current
- American Geophysical Union, Member (1991 - Current
- Soil Science Society of America, Member (1989 - Current
Awards & Recognition
- Certificate of appreciation for work as Associate Editor , 2010
Certificate of appreciation from the American Society of Agronomy/Crop Science Society of America/Soil Science Society of America for work as Associate Editor of the Journal of Environmental Quality for six years (two terms) in 2010..
- Ten years service award , 2009
Ten years service award by the St. Johns River Water Management District, Florida, 2009..
Featured Publications & Products
- Ouyang, Ying ; Parajuli, Prem B.; Feng, Gary ; Leininger, Theodor D.; Wan, Yongshan ; Dash, Padmanava 2018. Application of Climate Assessment Tool (CAT) to estimate climate variability impacts on nutrient loading from local watersheds.
- Ouyang, Ying; Parajuli, Prem B.; Li, Yide; Leininger, Theodor D.; Feng, Gary 2017. Identify temporal trend of air temperature and its impact on forest stream flow in Lower Mississippi River Alluvial Valley using wavelet analysis.
- Ouyang, Ying; Feng, Gary; Leininger, Theodor D.; Read, John; Jenkins, Johnie N. 2018. Pond and Irrigation Model (PIM): a tool for simultaneously evaluating pond water availability and crop irrigation demand.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En; Cui, Lihua 2014. Estimating impacts of land use on groundwater quality using trilinear analysis.
- Ouyang, Ying; Leininger, Theodor D.; Hatten, Jeff 2013. Real-time estimation of TP load in a Mississippi Delta Stream using a dynamic data driven application system.
- Ouyang, Ying; Leininger, Theodor D.; Moran, Matt 2013. Impacts of reforestation upon sediment load and water outflow in the Lower Yazoo River Watershed, Mississippi.
- Ouyang, Ying; Leininger, Theodor D.; Moran, Matt 2015. Estimating effects of reforestation on nitrogen and phosphorus load reductions in the Lower Yazoo River Watershed, Mississippi.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jiaen; Leininger, Theodor D.; Frey, Brent R. 2015. A STELLA model to estimate water and nitrogen dynamics in a short-rotation woody crop plantation.
- Ouyang, Ying 2012. A Potential Approach for Low Flow Selection in Water Resource Supply and Management.
Publications & Products
- Ouyang, Ying; Grace, Johnny M.; Zipperer, Wayne C.; Hatten, Jeff; Dewey, Janet 2018. A simple approach to estimate daily loads of total, refractory, and labile organic carbon from their seasonal loads in a watershed.
- Parajuli, Prem B.; Jayakody, Priyantha ; Ouyang, Ying 2018. Evaluation of using remote sensing evapotranspiration data in SWAT.
- Tang, Qiuxiang ; Feng, Gary ; Fisher, Daniel ; Zhang, Huihui ; Ouyang, Ying ; Adeli, Ardeshir ; Jenkins, Johnie 2018. Rain water deficit and irrigation demand of major row crops in the Mississippi Delta.
- Feng, Gary ; Ouyang, Ying ; Adeli, Ardeshir ; Read, John ; Jenkins, Johnie 2018. Rainwater deficit and irrigation demand for row crops in Mississippi Blackland Prairie.
- Zhang, Bangbang; Feng, Gary; Ahuja, Lajpat R.; Kong, Xiangbin; Ouyang, Ying; Adeli, Ardeshir; Jenkins, Johnie N. 2018. Soybean crop-water production functions in a humid region across years and soils determined with APEX model.
- Ouyang, Ying; Paz, Joel O.; Feng, Gary; Read, John J.; Adeli, Ardeshir; Jenkins, Johnie N. 2017. A model to estimate hydrological processes and water budget in an irrigation farm pond.
- Zhou, Zhang; Ouyang, Ying; Li, Yide; Qiu, Zhijun; Moran, Matt 2017. Estimating impact of rainfall change on hydrological processes in Jianfengling rainforest watershed, China using BASINS-HSPF-CAT modeling system.
- Ouyang, Y. ; Feng, G. ; Parajuli, P.B. 2017. Estimating impacts of future rainfall change on Stream flow and sediment load in Lower Yazoo River Watershed Using BASINS-HSPF-CAT modeling system.
- Gao, Fei; Feng, Gary; Ouyang, Ying; Wang, Huixiao; Fisher, Daniel; Adeli, Ardeshir; Jenkins, Johnie 2017. Evaluation of reference evapotranspiration methods in arid, semiarid, and humid regions.
- Zhou, Z.; Ouyang, Y.; Qiu, Z.; Zhou, G.; Lin, M.; Li, Y. 2017. Evidence of climate change impact on stream low flow from the tropical mountain rainforest watershed in Hainan Island, China.
- Ouyang, Ying; Xu, Daping; Leininger, Ted; Zhang, Ningnan 2016. A system dynamic model to estimate hydrological processes and water use in a eucalypt plantation.
- Dakhlalla, Abdullah O.; Parajuli, Prem B.; Ouyang, Ying; Schmitz, Darrel W. 2016. Evaluating the impacts of crop rotations on groundwater storage and recharge in an agricultural watershed.
- Ouyang, Ying 2016. Identification of temporal patterns of long-term hydrological signals in Lower Mississippi River Basin using wavelet analysis.
- Zhao, Benliang; Zhang, Jia-en; Yan, Wenbin; Kang, Xiaowu; Cheng, Chaogang; Ouyang, Ying 2016. Removal of cadmium from aqueous solution using waste shells of golden apple snail.
- Zhang, Bangbang; Feng, Gary; Read, John J.; Kong, Xiangbin; Ouyang, Ying; Adeli, Ardeshir; Jenkins, Johnie N. 2016. Simulating soybean productivity under rainfed conditions for major soil types using APEX model in East Central Mississippi.
- Feng, Gary; Cobb, Stacy; Abdo, Zaid; Fisher, Daniel K.; Ouyang, Ying; Adeli, Ardeshir; Jenkins, Johnie N. 2016. Trend analysis and forecast of precipitation, reference evapotranspiration, and rainfall deficit in the Blackland Prairie of eastern Mississippi.
- Zhang, Jia-En; Yu, Jiayu; Ouyang, Ying 2015. Activity of earthworm in Latosol under simulated acid rain stress.
- Ye, Yanqiong; Zhang, Jia'en; Chen, Lili; Ouyang, Ying; Parajuli, Prem 2015. Dynamics of ecosystem service values in response to landscape pattern changes from 1995 to 2005 in Guangzhou, Southern China.
- Xu, Hua-qin; Zhang, Jia-en; Ouyang, Ying; Lin, Ling; Quan, Guo-ming; Zhao, Ben-liang; Yu, Jia-yu 2015. Effects of simulated acid rain on microbial characteristics in a lateritic red soil.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En; Li, Yide; Parajuli, Prem; Feng, Gary 2015. Impacts of rainfall and air temperature variations due to climate change upon hydrological characteristics: A case study.
- Cui, Lihu; Ouyang, Ying; Yang, Weizhi; Huang, Zhujian; Xu, Qiaoling; Yu, Guangwei 2015. Removal of nutrients from septic tank effluent with baffle subsurface-flow constructed wetlands.
- Ouyang, Ying; Cui, Lihua; Feng, Gary; Read, John 2015. Simulating phosphorus removal from a vertical-flow constructed wetland grown with C alternifolius species.
- Zhang, Jia-En; Yu, Jiayu; Ouyang, Ying; Xu, Huaqin 2014. Impact of simulated acid rain on trace metals and aluminum leaching in latosol from Guangdong Province, China.
- Marion, Daniel A.; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Ouyang, Ying; Amatya, Devendra M.; Clinton, Barton D.; Conrads, Paul A.; Gull Laird, Shelby; Dai, Zhaohua; Clingenpeel, J. Alan; Liu, Yonqiang; Roehl, Edwin A., Jr..; Moore Myers, Jennifer A.; Trettin, Carl 2014. Managing forest water quantity and quality under climate change.
- Parajuli, B.P.; Jayakody, P.; Sassenrath, G.F.; Ouyang, Y.; Pote, J.W. 2013. Assessing the impacts of crop-rotation and tillage on crop yields and sediment yield using a modeling approach.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En; Parajuli, Prem 2013. Characterization of shallow groundwater quality in the Lower St. Johns River Basin: a case study.
- Ouyang, Ying 2013. Effects of a constructed wetland and pond system upon shallow groundwater quality.
- Ouyang, Ying; Parajuli, Prem B.; Marion, Daniel A. 2013. Estimation of surface water quality in a Yazoo River tributary using the duration curve and recurrence interval approach.
- Cui, Lihua; Ouyang, Ying; Gu, Wenjie; Yang, Weozhi; Xu, Qiaoling 2013. Evaluation of nutrient removal efficiency and microbial enzyme activity in a baffled subsurface-flow constructed wetland system.
- Zhang, Jia-En; Quan, Guo-Ming; Huang, Zhao-Xiang; Luo, Shi-Ming; Ouyang, Ying 2013. Evidence of duck activity induced anatomical structure change and lodging resistance of rice plant.
- Parajuli, Prem B.; Sassenrath, Gretchen F.; Ouyang, Ying 2013. Relationships between water table and model simulated ET.
- Liang, Kiang; Zhang, Jia-en; Fang, Li; Zaho, Benliang; Luo, Mingzhu; Parajuli, Prem; Ouyang, Ying 2013. The biological control of Pomacea canaliculata population by rice-duck mutualism in paddy fields.
- Parajuli, Prem B.; Ouyang, Ying 2013. Watershed-scale hydrological modeling methods and applications.
- Ouyang, Ying; Leininger, Theodor D.; Hatten, Jeff; Parajuli, Prem B. 2012. A STELLA model to estimate soil CO2 emissions from a short-rotation woody crop.
- Ouyang, Ying 2012. Designing a dynamic data driven application system for estimating real-time load of dissolved organic carbon in a river.
- Ouyang, Ying 2012. Estimation of Shallow Groundwater Discharge and Nutrient Load into a River.
- Ouyang, Ying; Higman, John; Hatten, Jeff 2012. Estimation of dynamic load of mercury in a river with BASINS-HSPF model.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En 2012. Quantification of Shallow Groundwater Nutrient Dynamics in Septic Areas.
- Cui, Lihua; Feng, Jigkun; Ouyang, Ying; Deng, Peiwen 2012. Removal of Nutrients from Septic Effluent with Re-circulated Hybrid Tidal Flow Constructed Wetland.
- Zhang, Jia-En; Yu, Jiayu; Ouyang, Ying; Xu, Huaqin 2012. Responses of Earthworm to Aluminum Toxicity in Latosol.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En; Cui, Li Hua; Nkedi-Kizza, Peter 2012. Simulating the Transport and Fate of Trifluralin in Soil.
- Zhang, Jia-En; Ouyang, Ying; Huang, Zhao-Xiang Huang; Quan, Guo-Ming 2011. Dynamic Emission of CH4 from a Rice-Duck Farming Ecosystem.
Estimating impacts of extreme rainfall events for local watersheds
Many future climate scenarios project impacts of climate variability on water quantity and quality. However, these scenarios may not be accurate and do not have flexibility for local and small watershed analyses. They are not able to answer questions such as: what will happen to stream flow, water quality, and water availability for a given local watershed if extreme rainfall events such as very dry summers and wet winters occur in the next ten years? This information is crucial to state and local water resource managers and stakeholders for implementing adaptive management practices on crop and forest lands.
Estimating the ratio of pond size to irrigated crop land: A tool to conserve groundwater resources in Mississippi
Groundwater withdrawals in the Mississippi Delta region and around the nation have increased dramatically since the last century, resulting in the depletion of water resources from subsurface aquifers. Although more on-farm water storage ponds have been constructed in recent years to mitigate groundwater depletion in Mississippi, little effort has been devoted to addressing the question of how many hectares (1 hectare = 2.47 acres) of crop land can be irrigated with water from one hectare of agricultural pond. Forest Service scientists developed a computer modeling tool to address this need.