Experimental Forests & Ranges
P.O. Box 1270
Hot Springs, AR 71902
Phone: 501-623-1180 x104
My research goals are to identify and characterize the primary watershed processes and landform structures affecting forested ecosystems in the Interior Highlands, and how forest management affects these processes and structures. To achieve these goals, my major research objectives are to: quantify the processes by which water, sediment, and nutrients move through forest ecosystems; determine their relative importance; determine how their relative importance varies at different space and time scales; determine how these processes are affected by forest management practices; and develop models for extrapolating research findings to other locations in the Interior Highlands.
My research focuses primarily on upland forested watersheds, encompassing spatial scales from 1 to 5,000 hectares, and processes that operate over time scales of less than one year to 100 years.
I have completed or have underway studies in the following topical areas: stream classification; mass erosion processes; sediment production from small, forested watersheds; the interactions between sediment processes and channel morphology; and the structural responses of channels to natural and human-induced disturbances.
- University of Iowa, Geoscience, 2001
- Oregon State University, Physical Geography, 1982
- California State University Hayward, Geography, 1979
Publications & Products
- Phillips, Jonathan; Marion, Daniel A.; Yocum, Chad; Mehlhope, Stephanie H.; Olson, Jeff W. 2015. Geomorphological impacts of a tornado disturbance in a subtropical forest.
- Marion, Daniel A.; Turton, Donald; Schleidt, Maria 2014. A history of watershed research in experimental forests of the Interior Highlands.
- Marion, Daniel A.; Phillips, Jonathan D.; Yocum, Chad; Mehlhope, Stephanie H. 2014. Stream channel responses and soil loss at off-highway vehicle stream crossings in the Ouachita National Forest.
- Ouyang, Ying; Parajuli, Prem B.; Marion, Daniel A. 2013. Estimation of surface water quality in a Yazoo River tributary using the duration curve and recurrence interval approach.
- Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; McNulty, Steven G.; Georgakakos, Aris P.; Arumugam, Sankar; Cruise, James; McNider, Richard T.; Terando, Adam; Conrads, Paul A.; Feldt, John; Misra, Vasu; Romolo, Luigi; Rasmussen, Todd C.; Marion, Daniel A. 2013. Impacts of Climate Change and Variability on Water Resources in the Southeast USA.
- Marion, Daniel A.; Clingenpeel, J. Alan 2012. Methods used for analyzing the cumulative watershed effects of fuel management on sediment in the Eastern United States.
- Marion, D.A. 2012. Predicted high-water elevations for selected flood events at the Albert Pike Recreation Area, Ouachita National Forest.