Our mission: To provide the scientific basis to manage southern bottomland hardwood and wetland forests and associated stream ecosystems for a sustained yield of forest products and other desired values.
News & Events
Pondberry (Lindera melissifolia) can tolerate deep shade and flooded soil – conditions that would kill many plants. However, the endangered shrub prefers more light and less flooding, as a team of USDA Forest Service researchers led by Ted Leininger shows.
Chase Earles, an award-winning Oklahoma potter, needed clay. The clay could not come from Winterville Mounds but needed to come from somewhere in Washington County, Mississippi.
USDA Forest Service fisheries biologist Zanethia Barnett is the winner of the 2022 Society for Freshwater Science (SFS) Hynes Award for New Investigators. The Hynes Award goes to a senior author of an outstanding primary publication within the last three years. Barnett won the award for a 2020 publication in Freshwater Biology that was the first to assess the effects of relatively large dams on crayfish population genetic structure. The publication was based largely on Barnett’s PhD dissertation research, which she received from the University of Mississippi in 2019.
- Compositional attributes of invaded forests drive the diversity of insect functional groups
Traylor, C.R.; Ulyshen, M.D.; Wallace, D.; Loudermilk, E.L.; Ross, C.W.; Hawley, C.; Atchison, R.A.; Williams, J.L.; McHugh, J.V.
2022 Global Ecology and Conservation
- A Key to Species of the Scorpionflies of Thailand with the Description of New Species of Panorpa and Neopanorpa (Mecoptera: Panorpidae) Based on Morphology and DNA Barcodes
Bicha, Wesley; Schiff, Nathan; Lancaster, Aaron; Suttiprapan, Piyawan; Dokjan, Theerapan; Scheffler, Brian.
2022 Transactions of the American Entomological Society
- Assessment of Climate Change Impacts on Water Quantity and Quality at Small Scale Watersheds
Ouyang, Y., Panda, S.S, and Feng, G., Ed.
- Effects of food abundance on juvenile freshwater mussel survival and growth in aquaculture, and comparison with growth in streams
White, Drew E.J.; Haag, Wendell R.; McGregor, Monte A.; Price, Steven J.
- Grape cultivar identification and classification by machine olfaction analysis of leaf volatiles
Khorramifar, Ali; Karami, Hamed; Wilson, A. Dan; Sayyah, Amir H.A.; Shuba, Anastasiia; Lozano, Jesús.
2022 Journal (Chemosensors)