Our mission: To provide the scientific basis to manage southern bottomland hardwood and wetland forests and associated stream ecosystems for a sustained yield of forest products and other desired values.
News & Events
Native freshwater mussels grew more slowly when invasive Asian clams (Corbicula fluminea) were abundant. The study was led by Wendell Haag, a USDA Forest Service research fisheries biologist. It was published in the journal Freshwater Biology. Mussels live out of sight – buried in the river bottom, eating algae and other small particles of organic material. Mussels are filter feeders and key members of aquatic ecosystems.
The highly anticipated second volume of Freshwater Fishes of North America was just published by Johns Hopkins University Press. This volume was edited by USDA Forest Service fisheries research scientist Mel Warren and four other editors. Warren also contributed to seven of the book’s 35 chapters.
Increasingly, recovery plans for imperiled fish species include raising them in captivity and releasing them in the wild. Crystal Ruble of Conservation Fisheries, Inc, with SRS researchers Ken Sterling and Melvin Warren published a protocol for captive propagation of the Yazoo Darter (Etheostoma raneyi). The researchers also summarize its early life-history.
- Tracing the origin of the crayfish plague pathogen, Aphanomyces astaci, to the Southeastern United States
Martín-Torrijos, Laura; Martínez-Ríos, María; Casabella-Herrero, Gloria; Adams, Susan B.; Jackson, Colin R.; Diéguez-Uribeondo, Javier.
2021 Scientific Reports
- Macroecological patterns of forest structure and allometric scaling in mangrove forests
Rovai, Andre S.; Twilley, Robert R.; Castañeda‐Moya, Edward; Midway, Stephen R.; Friess, Daniel A.; Trettin, Carl C.; Bukoski, Jacob J.; Stovall, Atticus E.L.; Pagliosa, Paulo R.; Fonseca, Alessandra L.; Mackenzie, Richard A.; Aslan, Aslan; Sasmito, Sigit D.; Sillanpää, Mériadec; Cole, Thomas G.; Purbopuspito, Joko; Warren, Matthew W.; Murdiyarso, Daniel; Mofu, Wolfram; Sharma, Sahadev; Tinh, Pham Hong; Riul, Pablo.
2021 Global Ecology and Biogeography
- Estimates of precipitation IDF curves and design discharges for road-crossing drainage structures: Case study in four small forested watersheds in the Southeastern US
Amatya, D. M.; Tian, S.; Marion, D. A.; Caldwell, P.; Laseter, S.; Youssef, M. A.; Grace, J. M.; Chescheir, G. M.; Panda, S.; Ouyang, Y.; Sun, G.; Vose, J. M.
2021 Journal of Hydrologic Engineering
- Not all methods are created equal: assessment of sampling methods for crayfishes and fishes in southern Appalachian streams
Barnett, Zanethia C.; Ochs, Clifford A.; Hoeksema, Jason D.; Adams, Susan B.
- American Beavers (Castor canadensis) use a hollow Baldcypress snag as a lodge
Adams, Susan B.; Gelbard, Elaine M.
2021 Southeastern Naturalist