The Southern Pine Ecology and Management Research Work Unit (SRS-RWU-4159), headquartered on the University of Arkansas campus at Monticello, Arkansas, continues a tradition of research on plants, wildlife, and soils in pine-dominated forests of the southeastern United States. Our emphasis is on mixed loblolly-shortleaf pine and pine-hardwood forests of the West Gulf Coastal Plain in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas, and the shortleaf pine and pine-hardwood forests of the Ouachita and Ozark Mountains in Arkansas and Oklahoma.
News & Events
“Where I grew up in the Houston area, Chinese tallow was the main tree in forests near my house. They were a beautiful crimson color in the fall and great for climbing,” says USDA Forest Service researcher Daniel Saenz. “But most importantly, they were the best source of ammunition. Tallow fruits were the perfect size for a slingshot, and in the fall the seeds blew nicely through a straw.”
- Spatiotemporal patterns of snake captures and activity in upland pine forests
Schalk, Christopher M.; Weng, Yuhui H.; Adams, Connor S.; Saenz, Daniel.
- Stand-age derived competition indices influence individual tree mortality model prediction for naturally occurring even-aged shortleaf pine stands
Saud, Pradip; Lynch, Thomas B.; Guldin, James M.; Shrestha, Sudip.
- Disparate patterns of taxonomic and functional predator diversity under different forest management regimes
Adams, Connor S.; Saenz, Daniel; Kidd, Kathryn R.; Schalk, Christopher M.
- North American tree migration paced by climate in the West, lagging in the East
Sharma, Shubhi; Andrus, Robert; Bergeron, Yves; Bogdziewicz, Michal; Bragg, Don C.; Brockway, Dale; Cleavitt, Natalie L.; Courbaud, Benoit; Das, Adrian J.; Dietze, Michael; Fahey, Timothy J.; Franklin, Jerry F.; Gilbert, Gregory S.; Greenberg, Cathryn H.; Guo, Qinfeng; Hille Ris Lambers, Janneke; Ibanez, Ines; Johnstone, Jill F.; Kilner, Christopher L.; Knops, Johannes M. H.; Koenig, Walter D.; Kunstler, Georges; LaMontagne, Jalene M.; Macias, Diana; Moran, Emily; Myers, Jonathan A.; Parmenter, Robert; Pearse, Ian S.; Poulton-Kamakura, Renata; Redmond, Miranda D.; Reid, Chantal D.; Rodman, Kyle C.; Scher, C. Lane; Schlesinger, William H.; Steele, Michael A.; Stephenson, Nathan L.; Swenson, Jennifer J.; Swift, Margaret; Veblen, Thomas T.; Whipple, Amy V.; Whitham, Thomas G.; Wion, Andreas P.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Zlotin, Roman; Clark, James S.
- An overview of Triadica sebifera (Chinese Tallowtree) in the southern United States, emphasizing pollinator impacts and classical biological control.
Vogt, James T.; Olatinwo, Rabiu; Ulyshen, Michael D.; Lucardi, Rima D.; Saenz, Daniel; McKenney, Jessica L.