Susan B. AdamsAquatic Ecologist-Team Leader
Oxford, MS 38655-4915
I conduct research on the biology and community ecology of native, warmwater fishes and crayfishes at various spatial and temporal scales. Research is directed toward understanding mechanisms contributing to the structure of aquatic communities, quantifying the effects of disturbance on aquatic systems, and improving knowledge about the taxonomy, distribution, and life history of crayfishes. Much of my current work focuses on how press (e.g., stream warming, dams, land use changes) and pulse (e.g., major storms) disturbances influence communities. I am also involved in long-term research on sculpin distributions and their changes with stream warming in streams of western Montana.
Past research has included:
-Habitat correlates of bull trout in Idaho streams
-Mechanisms of invasion by brook trout in Montana and Idaho
-Movements by sculpin, Rocky Mountain tailed frogs, and boreal toads in western streams
-Life history, habitat use, diet, and population genetics of Alabama shad
-Seasonal and interannual variation in warmwater fish assemblages
-Phylogenetics of crayfish in the Trisellescens subgenus of the genus Orconectes
-Effects of anthropological disturbances on crayfish
-Life history and phylogenetics of crayfish
- Ph.D. in Organismal Biology and Ecology, 1999
- The University of Montana, Missoula
- M.S. in Fisheries Resources, 1994
- University of Idaho, Moscow
- B.A. in Biology, 1986
- Carleton College, Northfield, MN
- Louisiana State University, Graduate School Affiliate (2012—Current)
- Freshwater Crayfish, Journal Of The International Assoc. Of Astacology, Editorial Board (2010—Current)
- Society Of Freshwater Science, Member (2010—Current)
- International Association Of Astacology, President (2004—Current)
- U Of Southern Mississippi, Adjunct Faculty (2002—Current)
- Southeastern Fishes Council, Member (2001—Current)
- U Of Mississippi, Adjunct Faculty (2001—Current)
- American Fisheries Society, Member (1991—Current)
- U Of Alabama, Member Of Graduate School (2012—2014)
Awards and Recognition
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2011
- for valuable contributions to the Climate Change Resource Center
- Rise to the Future, Professional Excellence in Research Award, 2006
- A national FS award recognizing outstanding research accomplishments by a FS aquatic scientist.
- US Forest Service Southern Research Station Director’s Award, 2004
- Awarded to the to the Aquatic and Terrestrial Fauna Team for Maintaining and Enhancing the Nation’s Natural Resources.
- Best Student Paper Award, 1997
- for research presented at the Montana Chapter American Fisheries Society annual meeting
Featured Publications and Products
- Richman, Nadia I.; Böhm, Monika; Adams, Susan B.; Alvarez, Fernando; Bergey, Elizabeth A.; Bunn, John J. S.; Burnham, Quinton; Cordeiro, Jay; Coughran, Jason; Crandall, Keith A.; Dawkins, Kathryn L.; DiStefano, Robert J.; Doran, Niall E.; Edsman, Lennart; Eversole, Arnold G.; Füreder, Leopold; Furse, James M.; Gherardi, Francesca; Hamr, Premek; Holdich, David M.; Horwitz, Pierre; Johnston, Kerrylyn; Jones, Clive M.; Jones, Julia P. G.; Jones, Robert L.; Jones, Thomas G.; Kawai, Tadashi; Lawler, Susan; López-Mejía, Marilu; Miller, Rebecca M.; Pedraza-Lara, Carlos; Reynolds, Julian D.; Richardson, Alastair M. M.; Schultz, Mark B.; Schuster, Guenter A.; Sibley, Peter J.; Souty-Grosset, Catherine; Taylor, Christopher A.; Thoma, Roger F.; Walls, Jerry; Walsh, Todd S.; Cohen, Ben. 2015. Multiple drivers of decline in the global status of freshwater crayfish (Decapoda:Astacidea).
- Adams, Susan B.; Schmetterling, David A.; Neely, David A. 2015. Summer stream temperatures influence sculpin distributions and spatial partitioning in the Upper Clark Fork River Basin, Montana.
- Adams, Susan B. 2013. Effects of small impoundments on downstream crayfish assemblages.
- Adams, Susan B. 2014. Crayfish use of trash versus natural cover in incised, sand-bed streams.
- Taylor, Christopher A.; Adams, Susan B.; Schuster, Guenter A. 2014. Systematics and biogeography of Orconectes, subgenus Trisellescens, in the southeastern United States, a test of morphology-based classification.
- Dolloff, Andy; Roghair, Craig; Krause, Colin; Moran, John; Cochran, Allison; Warren, Mel; Adams, Susan; Haag, Wendell. 2016. Spatio-temporal variation in distribution of aquatic species and their habitats in a reservoir transition zone.
- Schuster, Guenter A.; Taylor, Christopher A.; Adams, Susan B. 2015. Procambarus (Girardiella) holifieldi, a new species of crayfish (Decapoda: Cambaridae) from Alabama with a revision of the Hagenianus Group in the subgenus Girardiella.
- Adams, Susan B.; Roghair, Craig; Krause, Colin; Warren, Mel; Cochran, J. Allison; Dolloff, Andy; Moran, John; McGregor, Stuart W.; Schuester, Guenter A.; Gangloff, Michael; DeVries, Dennis R.; Kendrick, Michael R.; Grove, G. Lee; Wright, Russell A. 2015. New crayfish species records from the Sipsey Fork drainage, including Lewis Smith Reservoir (Alabama, USA): Native or introduced species?.
- Mickle, Paul F.; Schaefer, Jacob, F..; Yee, Donald A.; Adams, Susan B. 2013. Diet of juvenile Alabama shad (Alosa alabamae) in two northern Gulf of Mexico drainages.
- Adams, Susan B.; Taylor, Christopher A.; Lukhaup, Chris. 2010. Crayfish fauna of the Tennessee River drainage in Mississippi, including new state species records.
- Mickle, P. F.; Schaefer, J.F.; Adams, S.B.; Kreiser, B.R. 2010. Habitat use of age 0 Alabama shad in the Pascagoula River drainage, USA.
- Adams, Susan B.; Burnett, Kelly M.; Bisson, Peter; Harvey, Bret; Nislow, Keith H.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Rinne, John. 2010. The role of the Forest Service in aquatic invasive species research.
- Adams, S. B. 2008. Female reproductive characteristics of three species in the Orconectes subgenus Trisellescens and comparisons to other Orconectes species.
- Rieman, Bruce E.; Isaak, Daniel; Adams, Susan; Horan, Dona; Nagel, David; Luce, Charles; Myers, Deborah. 2007. Anticipated climate warming effects on bull trout habitats and populations across the interior Columbia River basin.
- Adams, Susan B.; Schmetterling, David A. 2007. Freshwater sculpins: phylogenetics to ecology.
- Adams, Susan B.; Hamel, Paul B.; Connor, Kristina; Burke, Bryce; Gardiner, Emile S.; Wise, David. 2007. Potential roles of fish, birds, and water in swamp privet (Forestiera acuminata) seed dispersal.
- Meadows, Dwayne W.; Adams, Susan B.; Schaefer, Jacob F. 2007. Threatened fishes of the world: Alosa alabamae (Jordan and Evermann, 1896) (Clupeidae).
- Adams, Susan B. 2006. Dainties of the first order.
- Adams, Susan B. 2006. Direct and indirect effects of channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) on native crayfishes (Cambaridae) in experimental tanks.
- Adams, Susan B.; Schmetterling, David A.; Young, Michael K. 2005. Instream movements by boreal toads (Bufo boreas boreas).
- Adams, Susan B. 2005. Katrina: boon or bust for freshwater fish communities?.
- Adams, Susan B.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr. 2005. Recolonization by warmwater fishes and crayfishes after severe drought in upper coastal plain hill streams.
- Williams, Lance R.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr..; Adams, Susan B.; Arvai, Joseph L.; Taylor, Christopher M. 2004. Basin Visual Estimation Technique (BVET) and Representative Reach Approaches to Wadeable Stream Surveys: Methodological Limitations and Future Directions.
- Adams, Susan B.; Warren, Melvin L., Jr..; Haag, Wendell R. 2004. Spatial and temporal patterns in fish assemblages of upper coastal plain streams, Mississippi, USA.
- Schmetterling, David A.; Adams, Susan B. 2004. Summer Movements within the Fish Community of a Small Montane Stream.
- Dunham, Jason B.; Adams, Susan B.; Schroeter, Robert E.; Novinger, Douglas C. 2002. Alien invasions in aquatic ecosystems: toward an understanding of brook trout invasions and potential impacts on inland cutthroat trout in western North America.
- Adams, Susan B.; Frissell, Christopher A.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2001. Geography of invasion in mountain streams: consequences of headwater lake fish introductions.
- Adams, Susan B.; Frissell, Christopher A. 2001. Thermal Habitat Use and Evidence of Seasonal Migration by Rocky Mountain Tailed Frogs, Ascaphus montanus, in Montana.
- Warren, Melvin L., Jr..; Haag, Wendell R.; Adams, Susan B. 2000. Forest linkages to diversity and abundancein lowland stream fish communities.
- Adams, Susan B.; Frissell, Christopher A.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2000. Movements of nonnative brook trout in relation to stream channel slope.
- Adams, Susan B.; Bjornn, Theodore C. 1997. Bull trout distributions related to temperature regimes in four central Idaho streams.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /srv/web/www.srs.fs.usda.gov/staff/viewemployee.php on line 475