Steven McNultyDirector, USDA Southeast Regional Climate Hub
Raleigh, NC 27606
I focus on two types of research: Basic; and Applied. Both forms of research are important. Basic research provides important information about the structure and function of an ecosystem, and how ecosystems respond to different environmental stresses such as climate change and air pollution. Applied research takes our understanding of ecosystem structure and function from basic research and uses this information to develop adaptive management strategies to ecosystem risk and improve ecosystem function.
My basic research includes understanding how nitrogen and sulfur deposition along with climate change can impact high elevation spruce fir forests, nutrient and water use and yield from forest it watersheds, and understanding ecosystem risk at the regional to continental scale through field experiments and ecosystem modeling.
By applied research includes developing that can assess ecosystem stress and provide land managers with options for correcting reducing or preventing negative impacts stress to their forest, agricultural, range land environments.
Adaptative management strategies for increasing ecosystem and working land resilience to climage change and variabilty.
Why This Research is Important
This research is designed to be useful for management of forest and range lands given the increasing variability of climate in both the short and long-term. Future working land sustainability depends to the choices that land managers are making today, and these studies will give the tools and information needed to make informed decisions.
- Ph.D.in Natural Resources, 1991
- University of New Hampshire, Durham
- M.S.in Forestry, 1987
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- B.S.in Natural Resources, 1985
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Iufro Working Group 7.01.06 (Risk Assessment), Deputy Coordinator (2015—Current)
Awards and Recognition
- USDA Forest Service Award for Superior Research Achievement, 2013
- Award “for exceptional impact in the community of climate change science and adaptation management
- Southern Research Stations Directors Science Delivery Award, 2013
- Award for “exemplary service in providing advanced scientific knowledge to land managers through a user-friendly, online information system”
- USDA Forest Service Chiefs Excellence in Science and Technology Award, 2013
- Award for “Researching and Advancing Global Climate-Related Societal Impacts”
- USDA Certificate of Appreciation, 2012
- Award for helping to develop the 2012 Sustainable Operations Summit agenda, and for presenting at the workshop
- Southern Research Stations Director Distinguished Scientist Award, 2012
- Award for over 20 years or sustained, and highly significant research productivity on environmental stress impacts across the southern US
- Forest Service Deputy Chief of Research and Development Distinguished Science Award, 2012
- Award for sustained research productivity, proactive science technology, innovative leadership, applied forest science, and longtime federal service
- SRS Director’s Science Delivery Award, 2011
- Award for leading and significantly contributing to several chapters in the Southern Forest Futures Project, and for providing a formal review for most of the chapters
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2010
- Award for initiating the First Friday All Climate Change Talks (FFACCTs) that presented news and research results via WebEx for Regions 8 and 9, the northern and southern research stations, and other agencies on the first Friday of every month
- USDA Forest Service Region 8 Forest Supervisors Group Award for Technology Transfer, 2010
- Award (with six other members of the TACCIMO team) for the development and application of the web-based tool for assessing climate change impacts and management options (TACCIMO) for use in forest planning across National Forest System Region 8. 2011.
- North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources Certificate of Appreciation, 2008
- Award for my contribution to CAPAG and to three of the working groups which resulted in a report the North Carolina State Legislature on climate change adaptation options for North Carolina.
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2008
- Award for my contributions to the organization and application of the 2004 SRS All Scientists Meeting that included the Assistant Secretary of Agriculture and FS Deputy Chief
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2004
- Award for authoring Criteria 67, Capacity to conduct and apply research and development aimed at improving forest management and the ability to predict impacts on forests of possible climate change
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2004
- Award for my contribution (as co-chair) to the development and operation of the USCCC which is providing some of the first inter-site comparable measurements of carbon sequestration across China.
- USDA Certificate of Merit for Superior Research Achievement, 2004
- Award for publishing over a dozen papers during a single fiscal year
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2003
- Award for serving as the Chair for the 175 papers presented at the October 2002 “Advances in Terrestrial Ecosystem Carbon Inventory, Measurements, and Monitoring” Meeting
- SRS Directors Stewardship Award, 2003
- Group award in recognition for outstanding ecological achievement in research support of land management. The SGCP was nominated for this award because of leadership in integrating ecosystem modeling with the assessment of critical management issues.
- Distinguished Publication Award from East Tennessee Chapter Society Technical Communication, 2001
- award along with my co-authors for the following paper. Dale V.H., L. A. Joyce, S.G. McNulty, R.P. Neilson, M.P. Ayres, M.D. Flannigan, P.J. Hanson, L.C. Irland, A.E. Lugo, C.J. Peterson, D. Simberloff, F.J. Swanson, B.J. Stocks, and B. M. Wotton. 2001.
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2001
- Award for serving as Acting AD P&A position for six months while the position was vacant
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2001
- Award for co-writing and editing the SOFRA chapter pertaining to numerous environmental stresses including ozone, acid rain and climate change impacts on southern forest health and productivity
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2001
- Award for serving as the guest co-editor for the 43 papers published in the journal Environmental Pollution which were the result of the October 2000 “Advances in Terrestrial Ecosystem Carbon Inventory, Measurements, and Monitoring” Meeting.
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2000
- Award for my development and writing contributions to the Forest Service national strategic plan for climate change research
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2000
- this award for my efforts to organize (as meeting chair) the meeting entitled “Advances in Terrestrial Ecosystem Carbon Inventory, Measurements, and Monitoring”. The multi-agency sponsored meeting included over 175 international scientists, policy makers
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 2000
- Award for organizing (as federal chair of the forest sector) and writing contributions to the development of the US National Assessment on Climate Change Impacts to US Forests
- USDA Extra Effort Award, 1999
- Award for organizing and hosting the Forest Service national strategic plan for climate change research
- USDA Certificate of Appreciation for contribution to a distinguished publication, 1999
- Award for my writing contributions to a keystone paper on the impacts of nitrogen deposition on US forests. The paper examines ecosystem response and potential management strategies for minimizing environmental impacts.
- Chinese National Soil Conservation Society distinguished paper award, 1998
- Award for my paper entitled “The development and use of Best Management Practices in forested watersheds.” McNulty, S.G. and G. Sun. 1998. In: Proceedings of the I
- Chinese National Academy of Science Award, 1998
- Award for my continuing collaboration with Chinese scientists to reduce the impact of soil erosion on stream water quality across the country.
- USDA Forest Service Award for Superior Research Achievement, 1995
- Award for innovative research related to the integration of multiple disciplines (including regional scale ecosystem hydrology, productivity, economics, and climate change)
Featured Publications and Products
- McNulty, Steve; Weiner, Sarah; Moore Myers, Jennifer ; Farahani, Hamid; Fouladbash, Lisa; Marshall, David; Steele, Rachel F. 2015. Southeast regional climate hub assessment of climate change vulnerability and adaptation and mitigation strategies.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L.; Sun, Ge. 2014. The rise of the mediocre forest: why chronically stressed trees may better survive extreme episodic climate variability.
- Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; McNulty, Steven G. 2015. Modelling the potential role of forest thinning in maintaining water supplies under a changing climate across the conterminous United States.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Cohen, Erika C.; Moore Myers, Jennifer A. 2013. Climate change impacts on forest soil critical acid loads and exceedances at a national scale.
- McNulty, Steven; Caldwell, Peter; Doyle, Thomas W.; Johnsen, Kurt; Liu, Yongqiang; Mohan, Jacqueline; Prestemon, Jeffrey; Sun, Ge. 2013. Forests and Climate Change in the Southeast USA.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Thompson, Frank R.; McNulty, Steven; Fisher, Larry A.; Runge, Michael C.; Cleaves, David; Tomosy, Monica. 2013. The science of decisionmaking: applications for sustainable forest and grassland management in the National Forest System.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Thompson, Matthew P.; Runge, Michael C.; Thompson, Frank R.; McNulty, Steven; Cleaves, David; Tomosy, Monica; Fisher, Larry A.; Bliss, Andrew. 2012. Recent advances in applying decision science to managing national forests.
- McNulty, Steven G. 2010. Critical acid load limits in a changing climate: implications and solutions.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve. 2016. Paired forested watershed experiments in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
- Duan, Kai; Sun, Ge; Sun, Shanlei; Caldwell, Peter V.; Cohen Mack, Erika; McNulty, Steve; Aldridge, Heather D.; Zhang, Yang. 2016. Divergence of ecosystem services in U.S. National Forests and Grasslands under a changing climate.
- Sun, Ge; Sun, Shanlei; Xiao, Jingfeng; Caldwell, Peter; Amatya, Devendra; Irmak, Suat; Gowda, Prasanna H.; Panda, Sudhanshu; McNulty, Steve; Zhang, Yang. 2016. Estimating watershed evapotranspiration across the United States using multiple methods.
- Hallema, Dennis W.; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; Norman, Steve; Cohen, Erika C.; Liu, Yongqiang; McNulty, Steve. 2016. Relationships between wildland fires and watershed hydrology across the contiguous U.S.
- Caldwell, Peter V.; Kennen, Jonathan G.; Sun, Ge; Kiang, Julie E.; Butcher, Jon B.; Eddy, Michele C.; Hay, Lauren E.; LaFontaine, Jacob H.; Hain, Ernie F.; Nelson, Stacy A. C.; McNulty, Steve G. 2015. A comparison of hydrologic models for ecological flows and water availability.
- Domec, Jean-Christophe; King, John S.; Ward, Eric; Oishi, A. Christopher; Palmroth, Sari; Radecki, Andrew; Bell, Dave M.; Miao, Guofang; Gavazzi, Michael; Johnson, Daniel M.; McNulty, Steve G.; Sun, Ge; Noormets, Asko. 2015. Conversion of natural forest to managed forest plantations decreases tree resistance to prolonged droughts.
- Sun, Shanlei; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter; McNulty, Steve; Cohen, Erika; Xiao, Jingfeng; Zhang, Yang. 2015. Drought impacts on ecosystem functions of the U.S. National Forests and Grasslands: Part II assessment results and management implications.
- Noormets, A.; Epron, D.; Domec, J.C.; McNulty, S.G.; Fox, T.; Sun, G.; King, J.S. 2015. Effects of forest management on productivity and carbon sequestration: A review and hypothesis.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steven. 2015. Effects of timber harvest on water quantity and quality in small watersheds in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
- Kang, M.; Zhang, Z.; Noormets, A.; Fang, X.; Zha, T.; Zhou, J.; Sun, G.; McNulty, S. G.; Chen, J. 2015. Energy partitioning and surface resistance of a poplar plantation in northern China.
- Ward, Eric J.; Domec, Jean-Christophe; Laviner, Marshall A.; Fox, Thomas R.; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve; King, John; Noormets, Asko. 2015. Fertilization intensifies drought stress: water use and stomatal conductance of Pinus taeda in a midrotation fertilization and throughfall reduction experiment.
- Emanuel, Ryan E; Buckley, John J; Caldwell, Peter V; McNulty, Steve; Sun, Ge. 2015. Influence of basin characteristics on the effectiveness and downstream reach of interbasin water transfers: displacing a problem.
- Fang, Yuan; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter; McNulty, Steven G.; Noormets, Asko; Domec, Jean-Christophe; King, John; Zhang, Zhiqiang; Zhang, Xudong; Lin, Guanghui; Zhou, Guangsheng; Xiao, Jingfeng; Chen, Jiquan. 2015. Monthly land cover-specific evapotranspiration models derived from global eddy flux measurements and remote sensing data.
- Tian, Shiying; Youssef, Mohamed A.; Sun, Ge; Chescheir, George M.; Noormets, Asko; Amatya, Devendra M.; Skaggs, R. Wayne; King, John S.; McNulty, Steve; Gavazzi, Michael; Miao, Guofang; Domec, Jean-Christophe. 2015. Testing DRAINMOD-FOREST for predicting evapotranspiration in a mid-rotation pine plantation.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; McNulty, Steve; Vose, James M.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Li, Harbin. 2014. A conceptual framework for adaptive forest management under climate change.
- Segura, Catalina; Caldwell, Peter; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve; Zhang, Yang. 2014. A model to predict stream water temperature across the conterminous USA.
- Chen, Jiquan; John, Ranjeet; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve; Noormets, Asko; Xiao, Jingfeng; Turner, Monica G.; Franldin, Jerry F. 2014. Carbon fluxes and storages in forests and landscapes.
- Segura, C.; Sun, G.; McNulty, S.; Zhang, Y. 2014. Potential impacts of climate change on soil erosion vulnerability across the conterminous United States.
- Gavazzi, M.J.; McNulty, S.G. 2014. The influence of prescribed fire and burn interval on fuel loads in four North Carolina forest ecosystems.
- Zhou, Jie; Zhang, Zhiqiang; sun, Ge; Fang, Xianrui; Zha, Tonggang; Chen, Jiquan; Noormets, Asko; Guo, Junting; McNulty, Steve. 2014. Water-use efficiency of a poplar plantation in Northern China.
- Bytnerowicz, Andrzej; Fenn, Mark; McNulty, Steven; Yuan, Fengming; Pourmokhtarian, Afshin; Driscoll, Charles; Meixner, Tom. 2013. Chapter 16 - Interactive Effects of Air Pollution and Climate Change on Forest Ecosystems in the United States: Current Understanding and Future Scenarios.
- Dow, K.; Carter, L.; Brosius, A.; Diaz, E.; Durbrow, R.; Evans, R.; Fauver, S.; Hayden, T.; Howard, B.; Jacobs, K.; Landers, G.; McNulty, S.; Nicholson, J.; Quattrochi, D.; Rimer, L.; Shuford, S.; Stiles, S.; Terando, A. 2013. Climate Adaptations in the Southeast USA.
- Carter, L.; Dow, K.; Anderson, J.; Asseng, S.; Hopkinson, C.; Konrad, C.; McNulty, S.; Mitchell, K.; Moody, K.; Quattrochi, D.; Schramm, P.; Sun, G.; Swann, L. 2013. Climate Change in the Southeast USA: Executive Summary.
- Quattrochi, D.; Dow, K.; Gaffney, J.; Long, P.; McNulty, S.; Shepherd, M.; Shuford, S.; Stone, B. 2013. Climate Interactions with the Built Environment in the Southeast USA.
- McNulty, Steve; Moore Myers, Jennifer; Caldwell, Peter; Sun, Ge. 2013. Climate change summary.
- Cole, Jason A.; Johnson, Kristopher D.; Birdsey, Richard A.; Pan, Yude; Wayson, Craig A.; McCullough, Kevin; Hoover, Coeli M.; Hollinger, David Y.; Bradford, John B.; Ryan, Michael G.; Kolka, Randall K.; Wieshampel, Peter; Clark, Kenneth L.; Skowronski, Nicholas S.; Hom, John; Ollinger, Scott V.; McNulty, Steven G.; Gavazzi, Michael J. 2013. Database for landscape-scale carbon monitoring sites.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; Jones, David; McNulty, Steven G. 2013. Effect of soils on water quantity and quality in Piedmont forested headwater watersheds of North Carolina.
- Lockaby, Graeme; Nagy, Chelsea; Vose, James M.; Ford, Chelcy R.; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve; Caldwell, Pete; Cohen, Erika; Moore Myers, Jennifer . 2013. Forests and water.
- Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; McNulty, Steven G.; Georgakakos, Aris P.; Arumugam, Sankar; Cruise, James; McNider, Richard T.; Terando, Adam; Conrads, Paul A.; Feldt, John; Misra, Vasu; Romolo, Luigi; Rasmussen, Todd C.; Marion, Daniel A. 2013. Impacts of Climate Change and Variability on Water Resources in the Southeast USA.
- Chapman, LeeAnna Y.; McNulty, Steven G.; Sun, Ge; Zhang, Yang. 2013. Net nitrogen mineralization in natural ecosystems across the conterminous US.
- Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter; McNulty, Steve; Ward, Eric; Domec, Jean-Christophe; Noormets, Asko. 2013. Regional carbon sequestration and climate change: It’s all about water.
- Zhou, Jie; Zhang, Zhiqiang; Sun, Ge; Fang, Xianrui; Zha, Tonggang; McNulty, Steve; Chen, Jiquan; Jin, Ying; Noormets, Asko. 2013. Response of ecosystem carbon fluxes to drought events in a poplar plantation in Northern China.
- Averyt, K.; Meldrum, J.; Caldwell, P.; Sun, G.; McNulty, S.; Huber-Lee, A.; Madden, N. 2013. Sectoral contributions to surface water stress in the coterminous United States.
- Miao, Guofang; Noormets, Asko; Domec, Jean-Christophe; Trettin, Carl C.; McNulty, Steve G.; Sun, Ge; King, John S. 2013. The effect of water table fluctuation on soil respiration in a lower coastal plain forested wetland in the southeastern U.S.
- Tian, Hanqin; Chen, Guangsheng; Zhang, Chi; Liu, Mingliang; Sun, Ge; Chappelka, Arthur; Ren, Wei; Xu, Xiaofeng; Lu, Chaoqun; Pan, Shufen; Chen, Hua; Hui, Dafeng; McNulty, Steven; Lockaby, Graeme; Vance, Eric. 2012. Century-Scale Responses of Ecosystem Carbon Storage and Flux to Multiple Environmental Changes in the Southern United States.
- Daniels, A.E.; Morrison, J.F.; Joyce, L.A.; Crookston, N.L.; Chen, S.C.; McNulty, S.G. 2012. Climate projections FAQ.
- Crowley, K.F.; McNeil, B.E.; Lovett, G.M.; Canham, C.D.; Driscoll, C.T.; Rustad, L.E.; Denny, E.; Hallett, R.A.; Arthur, M.A.; Boggs, J.L.; Goodale, C.L.; Kahl, J.S.; McNulty, S.G.; Ollinger, S.V.; Pardo, L.H.; Schaberg, P.G.; Stoddard, J.L.; Weand, M.P.; Weather, K.C. 2012. Do nutrient limitation patterns shift from nitrogen toward phosphorus with increasing nitrogen deposition across the northeastern United States?.
- Caldwell, P. V.; Sun, G.; McNulty, S. G.; Cohen, E. C.; Moore Myers, J. A. 2012. Impacts of impervious cover, water withdrawals, and climate change on river flows in the conterminous US.
- Goetz, S. J.; Bond-Lamberty, B.; Law, B. E.; Hicke, J. A.; Huang, C.; Houghton, R. A.; McNulty, S.; O’Halloran, T.; Harmon, M.; Meddens, A. J. H.; Pfeifer, E. M.; Mildrexler, D.; Kasischke, E. S. 2012. Observations and assessment of forest carbon dynamics following disturbance in North America.
- Noormets, Asko; Mcnulty, Steve G.; Domec, Jean-Christophe; Gavazzi, Michael; Sun, Ge; King, John S. 2012. The role of harvest residue in rotation cycle carbon balance in loblolly pine plantations.
- Lockaby, Graeme; Nagy, Chelsea; Vose, James M.; Ford, Chelcy R.; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve; Caldwell, Pete; Cohen, Erika; Moore Meyers, Jennifer. 2011. Chapter 13: Water and Forests.
- McNulty, Steve; Moore Myers, Jennifer; Caldwell, Peter; Sun, Ge. 2011. Chapter 3: Climate Change.
- Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter; Noormets, Asko; McNulty, Steven G.; Cohen, Erika; et., al. 2011. Upscaling key ecosystem functions across the conterminous United States by a water‐centric ecosystem model.
- Xiao, Jingfeng; Zhuang, Qianlai; Law, Beverly E.; Chen, Jiquan; Baldocchi, Dennis D.; Cook, David R.; Oren, Ram; Richardson, Andrew D.; Wharton, Sonia; Ma, Siyan; Martin, Tomothy A.; Verma, Shashi B.; Suyker, Andrew E.; Scott, Russel L.; Monson, Russel K.; Litvak, Marcy; Hollinger, David Y.; Sun, Ge; Davis, Kenneth J.; Bolstad, Paul V.; Burns, Sean P.; Curtis, Peter S.; Drake, BErt G.; Falk, Matthias; Fischer, MArc L.; Foster, David R.; Gu, Lianhong; Hadley, Julian L.; Katul, Gabriel G.; Matamala, Roser; McNulty, Steve; Meyers, Tilden P.; Munger, J. William; Noormets, Asko; Oechel, Walter C.; U Paw, Kyaw Tha; Schmid, Hans Peter; Starr, Gregory; Torn, Margaret S.; Wofsy, Steven C. 2010. A continuous measure of gross primary production for the conterminous United States derived from MODIS and AmeriFlux data.
- Boggs, Johnny L.; McNulty, Steven G. 2010. Changes in canopy cover alter surface air and forest floor temperature in a high-elevation red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.) forest.
- McDonnell, T.C.; Cosby, B.J.; Sullivan, T.J.; McNulty, S.G.; Cohen, E.C. 2010. Comparison among model estimates of critical loads of acidic deposition using different sources and scales of input data.
- Noormets, A.; Sun, G.; McNulty, S.G.; Gavazzi, M.J.; Chen, J.; Domec, J.-C.; King, J.S.; Amatya, D.M.; Skaggs, R.W. 2010. Corrigendum: “Energy and water balance of two contrasting loblolly pine plantations on the lower coastal plain of North Carolina, USA” [Foreco 259: 1299–1310].
- Noormets, Asko; Gavazzi, Michael J.; McNulty, Steve G.; Domec, Jean-Christophe; Sun, Ge; King, John S.; Chen, Jiquan. 2010. Response of carbon fluxes to drought in a coastal plain loblolly pine forest.
- Qi, S.; Sun, G.; Wang, Y.; McNulty, S.G.; Moore Myers, J.A. 2009. Streamflow response to climate and landuse changes in a coastal watershed in North Carolina.
- Blate, G. M.; Joyce, L. A.; Littell, J. S.; McNulty, S. G.; Millar, C. I.; Moser, S. C.; Neilson, R. P.; O’Halloran, K.; Peterson, D. L. 2009. Adapting to climate change in United States national forests.
- Aronson, E.L.; McNulty, S.G. 2009. Appropriate experimental ecosystem warming methods by ecosystem, objective, and practicality.
- Domec, J.-C.; Noormets, A.; Sun, Ge; King, J.; McNulty, Steven; Gavazzi, Michael; Boggs, Johnny; Treasure, Emrys. 2009. Decoupling the influence of leaf and root hydraulic conductances on stomatal conductance and its sensitivity to vapour pressure deficit as soil dries in a drained loblolly pine plantation.
- Wang, S.; Zhang, Z.; Sun, G.; McNulty, S.G.; Zhang, M. 2009. Detecting water yield variability due to the small proportional land use and land cover changes in a watershed on the Loess Plateau, China.
- Thompson, I.; Mackey, B.; McNulty, S.; Mosseler, A. 2009. Forest Resilience, Biodiversity, and Climate Change.
- DeForest, Jared L.; Chen, Jiquan; McNulty, Steve G. 2009. Leaf litter is an important mediator of soil respiration in an oak-dominated forest.
- Joyce, Linda A.; Blate, Geoffrey M.; McNulty, Steven G.; Millar, Constance I.; Moser, Susanne; Neilson, Ronald P.; Peterson, David L. 2009. Managing for multiple resources under climate change: national forests.
- Wilske, Burkhard, Lu.; Wei, Long; Chen, Shiping; Zha, Tonggang; Liu, Chenfeng; Xu, Wenting; Noormets, Asko; Haung, Jianhui; Wei, Yafen; Chen, Jun; Zhang, Zhiqiang; Ni, Jian; Sun, Ge; Guo, Kirk; McNulty, Steve; John, Ranjeet; Han, Xiangguo; Lin, Guanghui; Chen, Jiquan. 2009. Poplar plantation has the potential to alter the water balance in semiarid inner Mongolia.
- Sun, Ge; Zuo, Changqing; Liu, Shiyu; Liu, Mingliang; McNulty, Steven G.; Vose, James M. 2009. Watershed evapotranspiration increased due to changes in vegetation composition and structure under a subtropical climate.
- Noormets, Asko; McNulty, Steve G.; DeForest, Jared L.; Sun, Ge; Li, Qinglin; Chen, Jiquan. 2008. Drought during canopy development has lasting effect on annual carbon balance in a deciduous temperate forest.
- Xiao, Jingfeng; Zhuang, Qianlai; Baldocchi, Dennis D.; Law, Beverly E.; Richardson, Andrew D.; Chen, Jiquan; Oren, Ram; Starr, Gegory; Noormets, Asko; Ma, Siyan; Verma, Sashi B.; Wharton, Sonia; Wofsy, Steven C.; Bolstad, Paul V.; Burns, Sean P.; Cook, David R.; Curtis, Peter S.; Drake, Bert G.; Falk, Matthias; Fischer, MArc L.; Foster, David R.; Gu, Lianhong; Hadley, Julian L.; Hollinger, David Y.; Katul, Gabriel G.; Litvak, Marcy; Martin, Timothy; Matamala, Roser; McNulty, Steve; Meyers, Tilden P.; Monson, Russell K.; Munger, J. William; Oechel, Walter C.; Paw U, Kyaw Tha; Schmid, Hans Peter; Scott, Russell L.; Sun, Ge; Suyker, Andrew E.; Torn, Margaret S. 2008. Estimation of net ecosystem carbon exchange for the conterminous United States by combining MODIS and AmeriFlux data.
- Crumbley, Tyler; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve. 2008. Modeling soil erosion and sediment transport from fires in forested watersheds of the South Carolina Piedmont.
- Crumbley, Tyler; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve. 2007. Modeling soil erosion and sediment transport from fires in forested watersheds of the South Carolina Piedmont.
- Deforest, J. L.; Sun, Ge; Noormets, A.; Chen, J.; McNulty, Steve; Gavazzi, M.; Amatya, Devendra M.; Skaggs, R. W. 2006. Carbon and Water Fluxes in a Drained Coastal Clearcut and a Pine Plantation in Eastern North Carolina.
- Cao, W.; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve G.; Chen, J.; Noormets, A.; Skaggs, R. W.; Amatya, Devendra M. 2006. Evapotranspiration of a Mid-Rotation Loblolly Pine Plantation and a Recently Harvested Stands on the Coastal Plain of North Carolina, U.S.A.
- DeForest, Jared L.; Noormets, Askoo; McNulty, Steve G.; Sun, Ge; Teeney, Gwen; Chen, Jiquan. 2006. Phenophases alter the soil respiration-temperature relationship in an oak-dominated forest.
- Lu, J.; Sun, Ge; Amatya, Devendra M.; Harder, S. V.; McNulty, Steve G. 2006. Understanding the Hydrologic Response of a Coastal Plain Watershed to Forest Management and Climate Change in South Carolina, U.S.A.
- Lu, Jianbiao; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steven G.; Amatya, Devendra. 2005. A comparison of six potential evapotranspiration methods for regional use in the Southeastern United States.
- Li, Changsheng; Trettin, Carl; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve; Butterbach-Bahl, Klaus. 2005. Modeling carbon and nitrogen biogeochemistry in forest ecosystems.
- Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve G.; Lu, J.; Amatya, Devendra M.; Liang, Y.; Kolka, R.K. 2005. Regional annual water yield from forest lands and its response to potential deforestation across the southeastern United States.
- Vose, James M.; Laseter, Stephanie H.; McNulty, Steve G. 2005. Stream nitrogen responses to fire in the Southeastern U.S.
- Gucinski, Hermann; Neilson, Ron; McNulty, Steve. 2004. Implications of global climate change for Southern forests: Can we separate fact from fiction?.
- Dale, Virginia H.; Joyce, Linda A.; McNulty, Steve; Neilson, Ronald P.; Ayres, Matthew P.; Flannigan, Michael D.; Hanson, Paul J.; Irland, Lloyd C.; Lugo, Ariel E.; Peterson, Chris J.; Simberloff, Daniel; Swanson, Frederick J.; Stocks, Brian J.; Wotton, Michael. 2001. Climate change and forest disturbances.
- Aber, John; Neilson, Ronald P.; McNulty, Steve; Lenihan, James M.; Bachelet, Dominque; Drapek, Raymond J. 2001. Forest processes and global environmental change: predicting the effects of individual and multiple stressors.
- Joyce, Linda; Aber, John; McNulty, Steve; Dale, virginia; Hansen, Andrew; Irland, Lloyd; Neilson, Ron; Skog, Kenneth. 2001. Potential consequences of climate variability and change for the forests of the United States.
- Johnsen, Kurt; Samuelson, Lisa; Teskey, Robert; McNulty, Steve; Fox, Tom. 2001. Process models as tools in forestry research and management.
- Sun, Ge; Amatya, Devendra M.; McNulty, Steven G.; Skaggs, R. Wayne; Hughes, Joseph H. 2000. Climate Change Impacts on the Hydrology and Productivity of a Pine Plantation.
- Perkins, T.D.; Adams, G.T.; Lawson, S.T.; Schaberg, P.G.; McNulty, S.G. 2000. Long-term nitrogen fertilization increases winter injury in montane red spruce foliage (Picea rubens) foliage.
- Dale, Virginia H.; Joyce, Linda A.; McNulty, Steve; Neilson, Ronald P. 2000. The interplay between climate change, forests, and disturbances.
- Hub Helps Landowners "SERCHing" for Climate Change Answers (2014)
- Land managers face new challenges every year from the growing effects of climate change. The regional livelihoods of farmers, foresters, and ranchers depend on the ability of the scientific community to design means of adaptation and effectively communicate those means at management relevant scales. Through a series of webinars and a myriad of other outreach efforts, the USDA Southeast Regional Climate Hub (SERCH) is engaging land managers, extension specialists, and researchers in a mission to understand the climate information needs in the land management community and then translate those needs back into tools and products that help prepare our working lands for future challenges.
- TACCIMO Development Team Honored with Regional Forester's Honor Award (2011)
- The Template for Assessing Climate change Impacts and Management Options (TACCIMO) development team, composed of researchers from the Southern Research Station Eastern Forest Environmental Threat Assessment Center (EFETAC) and planners from the Southern Region, was honored with the Regional Forester's Technology Transfer Award. TACCIMO is a web-based tool designed to bring the best climate change science to decision makers and planners in a simple and usable format. The award acknowledges the team's sustained dedication to addressing the challenge of delivering climate change science to support land and resource planning and management decisions.