Cassandra Johnson GaitherResearch Social Scientist
320 Green StreetPhone: 706-559-4270
Athens, GA 30602-2044
Athens, GA 30602-2044
Ethnic perceptions of natural environments; outdoor recreation behavior and preferences for minority groups.
- Ph.D.in Sociology, 2001
- University of Georgia
- M.A.in Sociology, 1995
- University of Georgia
Featured Publications and Products
- Johnson Gaither, C.; Poudyal, N.C.; Goodrick, S.; Bowker, J.M.; Malone, S. 2010. Wildland fire risk and social vulnerability in the Southeastern United States: An exploratory spatial data analysis approach.
- Schelhas, J.; Samar, S.; Johnson, C.; Asamadu, A.; Tease, F.; Stanturf, J.; Blay, D. 2010. Opportunities and capacity for community-based forest carbon sequestration and monitoring in Ghana.
- Johnson, C.Y.; Halfacre, A.C.; Hurley, P.T. 2009. Resistant place identities in rural Charleston County, South Carolina: Cultural, environmental, and racial politics in the Sewee to Santee Area.
- Lim, Siew Hoon; Bowker, J.M.; Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Cordell, H. Ken. 2009. Perspectives on prescribed fire in the south: does ethnicity matter?.
- Jennings, Viniece; Johnson, Cassandra. 2015. Approaching environmental health disparities and green spaces: An ecosystem services perspective.
- KC, Binita; Shepherd, J. Marshall; Gaither, Cassandra Johnson. 2015. Climate change vulnerability assessment in Georgia.
- Boley, B. Bynum; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra. 2015. Exploring empowerment within the Gullah Geechee cultural heritage corridor: implications for heritage tourism development in the Lowcountry.
- Gan, Jianbang; Jarrett, Adam; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra. 2015. Landowner response to wildfire risk: Adaptation, mitigation or doing nothing.
- Johnson Gaither, Cassandra; Roberts, Nina S.; Hanula, Kristin L. 2015. Visitor diversity through the recreation manager lens: comparing Forest Service Regions 8 (U S South) and 5 (California).
- Himmelfarb, David; Schelhas, John; Hitchner, Sarah; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra; Dunbar, KathErine; Brosius, J. Peter. 2014. Perceptions of and Attitudes Toward Climate Change in the Southeastern United States.
- Johnson Gaither, Cassandra. 2014. Smokestacks, Parkland, and community composition: examining environmental burdens and benefits in Hall County, Georgia, USA.
- Gan, Jianbang; Jarrett, Adam; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra. 2014. Wildfire risk adaptation: propensity of forestland owners to purchase wildfire insurance in the southern United States.
- Gan, Jianbang; Jarrett, Adam; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra. 2013. Forest fuel reduction and biomass supply: perspectives from southern private landowners.
- Green, Gary T.; Bowker, J.M.; Wang, X.F.; Cordell, K.; Johnson, C. 2012. A National Study of Constraints to Participation in Outdoor Recreational Activities.
- Poudyal, N.; Johnson-Gaither, C.; Goodrick, S.; Bowker, J.M.; Gan, J. 2012. Locating Spatial Variation in the Association between Wildland Fire Risk and Social Vulnerability across Six Southern States.
- Jennings, Viniece; Johnson Gaither, Cassandra; Schulterbrandt Gragg, Richard. 2012. Promoting Environmental Justice Through Urban Green Space Access: A Synopsis.
- Wyman, Miriam; Malone, Sparkle; Stein, Taylor; Johnson, Cassandra. 2012. Race and wildfire risk perceptions among rural forestland owners in north-central Florida.
- Johnson, Cassandra; Gan, Jianbang; Jarrett, Adam; Wyman, Miriam S.; Malone, Sparkle; Adams, Keenan J.; Bowker, J.M.; Stein, Taylor V. 2011. Black belt landowners respond to State-sponsored wildland fire mitigation policies and programs.
- Johnson-Gaither, Cassandra. 2011. Latino Park Access: Examining Environmental Equity in a “New Destination” County in the South.
- Green, G.T.; Bowker, J.M.; Wang, X.; Cordell, H.K.; Johnson, C.Y. 2009. An Examination of Perceived Constraints to Outdoor Recreation.
- Bowker, J. Michael; Hoon Lim, Siew; Cordell, H. Ken; Green, Gary T.; Rideout-Hanzak, Sandra; Johnson, Cassandra Y. 2008. Wildland fire, risk, and recovery: results of a national survey with regional and racial perspectives.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Bowker, J. Michael; Green, Gary; Cordell, H. Kenneth. 2007. "Provide it... but will they come?" a look at African American and Hispanic visits to Federal recreation areas.
- Harper, Richard A.; Johnson, Cassandra; Rauscher, H. Michael; Whitlock, Carol. 2007. A strategic plan for forest research and development in the south.
- Green, Gary T.; Bowker, J. Michael; Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Cordell, H. Ken; Wang, Xiongfei. 2007. An examination of constraints to wilderness visitation.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2007. Culture, place and urban growth in the U.S. South.
- Johnson, Cassandra; English, D.B.K. 2007. Visitor diversity on national forests-how should managers respond?.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Floyd, Myron F. 2006. A tale of two towns: black and white municipalities respond to urban growth in the South Carolina lowcountry.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Bowker, J. Michael; Cordell, H. Ken. 2005. Acculturation via nature-based outdoor recreation: a comparison of Mexican and Chinese ethnic groups in the United States.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Bowker, J. Michael. 2004. African-American wildland memories.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Bowker, J. Michael; Cordell, H. Ken. 2004. Ethnic variation in environmental belief and behavior: An examination of the new ecological paradigm in a social psychological context.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Mcdaniel, Josh. 2004. Turpentine Negro.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Bowker, J. Michael; Bergstrom, John C.; Cordell, H. Ken. 2004. Wilderness values in America: Does immigrant status or ethnicity matter?.
- Floyd, Myron F; Johnson, Cassandra Y. 2002. Coming to Terms with Environmental Justice in Outdoor Recreation: A Conceptual Discussion with Research Implications.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Bowker, J. Michael; Cordell, H. Ken. 2001. Outdoor Recreation Constraints: An Examination of Race, Gender, and Rural Dwelling.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Bowker, J. Michael. 1999. On-site wildland activity choices among African Americans and White Americans in the rural south: implications for management.
- Bowker, J. Michael; Cordell, H. Ken; Johnson, Cassandra Y. 1999. User fees for recreation services on public lands: a national assessment.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y. 1998. A consideration of collective memory in African American attachment to wildland recreation places.
- Cordell, H. Ken; Bliss, John C.; Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Fly, Mark. 1998. Voices from southern forests.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Bowker, J. Michael; English, Donald B.K.; Worthen, Dreamal. 1998. Wildland recreation in the rural South: an examination of marginality and ethnicity theory.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Horan, Patrick M.; Pepper, William. 1997. Race, Rural Residence, and Wildland Visitation: Examining the Influence of Sociocultural Meaning.
- Johnson, Cassandra Y.; Bowker, J. Michael; English, Donald B.K.; Worthen, Dreamal. 1997. Theoretical Perspectives of Ethnicity and Outdoor Recreation: A Review and Synthesis of African-American and European-American Participation.
- Forests Important in Mitigating Heat-related Mortality (2014)
- This research seeks to understand the relationship between heat-related illness and forest type and composition. Forest Service scientists examined this association controlling for social vulnerabilities related to demographic and resource-based characteristics for all counties within the contiguous U.S. Heat-related mortality was modeled as a function of social vulnerability (i.e., age, urbanization, material disabilities), forest type, and forest density for all counties in the contiguous U.S.
- Latino Community Access to Urban Green Space (2012)
- Addressing environmental justice in terms of access to urban green space for an immigrant community in Georgia
- Report Investigates Connection Between Urban Green Spaces and Environmental Justice (2012)
- Ecosystem services from urban green spaces have numerous benefits for the landscape and public health
- Wildfire and Social Vulnerability (2010)
- As part of a Joint Fire Science Project, SRS scientists examined the association between biophysical wildland fire risk and social vulnerability in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and South Carolina-using data from the Southern Group of State Foresters' Southern Wildfire Risk Assessment and the U.S. Bureau of Census.