Leslie GroomProject Leader
Pineville, LA 71360
Current research: primary objectives focus onphysical and mechanical properties of wood-based composites.Although all composites types are investigated, primary emphasis is placed on wood fiber-based composites such as medium density fiberboard, linerboard, paper).Research involves processing variables (e.g. refining effect, glue levels, and panel density) and component degree of juvenility).
Ph.D. in Wood Mechanics, 1988
Oregon State University
M.S. in Forest Products, 1985
Oregon State University
B.S. in Wood Science and Technology, 1982
Colorado State University
Featured Publications and Products
- So, Chi-Leung; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Leduc, Daniel J.; Groom, Leslie H.; Goelz, Jeffery C. G. 2010. Wood quality for longleaf pines: a spacing, thinning and pruning study on the Kisatchie National Forest.
- Araman, Philip; Groom, Les. 2010. Pallet recovery, repair and remanufacturing in a changing industry: 1992 to 2006.
- Piao, Cheng; Shupe, Todd F.; Groom, Leslie; Nipper, W. Allen. 2009. Research update for the treated wood reusing program at the Calhoun Research Station.
Antony, Finto; Jordan, Lewis; Schimleck, Laurence R.; Daniels, Richard F.; Clark III, Alexander. 2009.
The effect of mid-rotation fertilization on the wood properties of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda).
Love-Myers, Kimberly R.; Clark III, Alexander; Schimleck, Laurence R.; Jokela, Eric J.; Daniels, Richard F. 2009.
Specific gravity responses of slash and loblolly pine following mid-rotation fertilization.
- Jackson, Michael; Eberhardt, Thomas; Boateng, Akwasi; Mullen, Charles; Groom, Les. 2013. Evaluation of biochars by temperature programmed oxidation/mass spectrometry.
- Nelson, C. Dana; Peter, Gary F.; McKeand, Steven E.; Jokela, Eric J.; Rummer, Robert B.; Groom, Les; Johnsen, Kurt H. 2013. Pines.
- So, ChiLeung; Myszewski, Jennifer; Elder, Thomas; Groom, Les. 2013. Rapid analysis of the microfibril angle of loblolly pine from two test sites using near-infrared analysis.
- Jeong, Chang Yoon; Wang, Jim J.; Dodla, Syam K.; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Groom, Les. 2012. Effect of biochar amendment on tylosin adsorption-desorption and transport in two different soils.
- Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Pan, Hui; Groom, Leslie H.; So, Chi-Leung. 2011. Characterization and partitioning of the char ash collected after the processing of pine wood chips in a pilot-scale gasification unit.
- Elder, Thomas; Groom, Leslie H. 2011. Pilot-scale gasification of woody biomass.
- Piao, Cheng; Groom, Leslie. 2010. Residual strength and stiffness of lumber from decommissioned chromated copper arsenate-treated southern pine utility poles.
- Mahon, Jr. , Jerry M.; Jordan, Lewis; Schimleck, Lawrence R.; Clark, III, Alexander; Daniels, Richard F. . 2009. A comparison of sampling methods for a standing tree acoustic device.
- Antony, Finto; Jordan, Lewis; Daniels, Richard F.; Schimleck, Laurence R.; Clark III, Alexander; Hall, Daniel B. 2009. Effect of midrotation fertilization on growth and specific gravity of loblolly pine.
- Via, B. K.; So, C. L.; Shupe, T. F.; Groom, L. H.; Wikaira, J. 2009. Mechanical response of longleaf pine to variation in microfibril angle, chemistry associated wavelengths, density, and radial position.
- Mora, Christian R.; Schimleck, Laurence R.; Isik, Fikret; Mahon Jr., Jerry M.; Clark III, Alexander; Daniels, Richard F. 2009. Relationships between acoustic variables and different measures of stiffness in standing Pinus taeda trees.
- Lee, Sangyeob; Shupe, Todd F.; Groom, Leslie H.; Hse, Chung Y. 2008. Maleated polypropylene film and wood fiber handsheet laminates.
- Mott, Laurence; Groom, Les; Shaler, Stephen. 2002. Mechanical Properties of Individual Southern Pine Fibers. Part II. Comparison of Earlywood and Latewood Fibers with Respect to Tree Height and Juvenility.
- Groom, Les; Shaler, Stephen; Mott, Laurence. 2002. Mechanical Properties of Individual Southern Pine Fibers. Part III: Global Relationships Between Fiber Properties and Fiber Location Within An Individual Tree.
- Stine, Michael; Roberds, Jim; Nelson, C. Dana; Gwaze, David P.; Shupe, Todd; Groom, Les. 2002. Quantitative Trait Inheritance in a Forty-Year-Old Longleaf Pine Partial Diallel Test.
- Moss, Patricia A.; Groom, Les. 2001. Microscopy.
- Groom, Les; Rials, Timothy; Snell, Rebecca. 2000. Effects of varying refiner pressure on the machanical properties of loblolly pine fibres.
- Pilot Scale Gasification of Woody Biomass (2014)
- Silvicultural management regimes are designed to generate many societal products in an environmentally healthy and sustainable manner. The wood removed from U.S. forests has traditionally been aimed at structural building materials but there is currentlyan increased demand for woody biomass as a chemical or thermal feedstock. Forest Service scientists are evaluating various species and woody biomass from a variety of silvicultural practices to determine efficacy in an industrial process and sustainability.