2500 Shreveport Highway
Pineville, LA 71360
Current research: primary objectives focus onphysical and mechanical properties of wood-based composites.Although all composites types are investigated, primary emphasis is placed on wood fiber-based composites such as medium density fiberboard, linerboard, paper).Research involves processing variables (e.g. refining effect, glue levels, and panel density) and component degree of juvenility).
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Wood Mechanics, 1988
- Oregon State University, M.S. Forest Products, 1985
- Colorado State University, B.S. Wood Science and Technology, 1982
Featured Publications & Products
- So, Chi-Leung; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Leduc, Daniel J.; Groom, Leslie H.; Goelz, Jeffery C. G. 2010. Wood quality for longleaf pines: a spacing, thinning and pruning study on the Kisatchie National Forest.
- Araman, Philip; Groom, Les. 2010. Pallet recovery, repair and remanufacturing in a changing industry: 1992 to 2006.
- Piao, Cheng; Shupe, Todd F.; Groom, Leslie; Nipper, W. Allen. 2009. Research update for the treated wood reusing program at the Calhoun Research Station.
- Antony, Finto; Jordan, Lewis; Schimleck, Laurence R.; Daniels, Richard F.; Clark III, Alexander. 2009.
The effect of mid-rotation fertilization on the wood properties of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda).
- Love-Myers, Kimberly R.; Clark III, Alexander; Schimleck, Laurence R.; Jokela, Eric J.; Daniels, Richard F. 2009.
Specific gravity responses of slash and loblolly pine following mid-rotation fertilization.
Publications & Products
- Groom, Leslie; Mandalika, Anurag; Bragg, Don C.; Shuler, Jamie L; Elder, Thomas. 2013. "Thermal Properties of Loblolly Pine from Naturally Regenerated Stands".
- Nelson, C. Dana; Peter, Gary F.; McKeand, Steven E.; Jokela, Eric J.; Rummer, Robert B.; Groom, Leslie H.; Johnsen, Kurt H. 2013. Pines.
- So, Chi-Leung; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Groom, Leslie H.; Shupe, Todd F. 2012. A Spectroscopic Study on the Fuel Value of Softwoods in Relation to Chemical Composition.
- Jeong, Chang Yoon; Wang, Jim J.; Dodla, Syam K.; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Groom, Les. 2012. Effect of biochar amendment on tylosin adsorption-desorption and transport in two different soils.
- Elder, Thomas; Groom, Leslie H. 2012. Gasification of Woody Biomass as a Route to Energy and Fuels.
- Groom, Leslie H.; Gupta, Mayank; Sharma, Pratibha; Sharma, Akshya; Spivey, James J.; Elder, Thomas. 2012. Pilot-Scale Gasification of Woody Biomass and Production of Liquid Transportation Fuel.
- Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Pan, Hui; Groom, Leslie H.; So, Chi-Leung. 2011. Characterization and partitioning of the char ash collected after the processing of pine wood chips in a pilot-scale gasification unit.
- Elder, Thomas; Groom, Leslie H. 2011. Pilot-scale gasification of woody biomass.
- Piao, Cheng; Groom, Leslie. 2010. Residual strength and stiffness of lumber from decommissioned chromated copper arsenate-treated southern pine utility poles.
- Mahon, Jr. , Jerry M.; Jordan, Lewis; Schimleck, Lawrence R.; Clark, III, Alexander; Daniels, Richard F. . 2009.
A comparison of sampling methods for a standing tree acoustic device.
- So, Chi-Leung; Lebow, Stan T.; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Groom, Leslie H.; Shupe, Todd F. 2009.
Application of near-infrared spectroscopy to preservative-treated wood.
- Antony, Finto; Jordan, Lewis; Daniels, Richard F.; Schimleck, Laurence R.; Clark III, Alexander; Hall, Daniel B. 2009.
Effect of midrotation fertilization on growth and specific gravity of loblolly pine.
- Via, B. K.; So, C. L.; Shupe, T. F.; Groom, L. H.; Wikaira, J. 2009.
Mechanical response of longleaf pine to variation in microfibril angle, chemistry associated wavelengths, density, and radial position.
- Mora, Christian R.; Schimleck, Laurence R.; Isik, Fikret; Mahon Jr., Jerry M.; Clark III, Alexander; Daniels, Richard F. 2009.
Relationships between acoustic variables and different measures of stiffness in standing Pinus taeda trees.
- Lee, Sangyeob; Shupe, Todd F.; Groom, Leslie H.; Hse, Chung Y. 2008. Maleated polypropylene film and wood fiber handsheet laminates.
- Mott, Laurence; Groom, Les; Shaler, Stephen. 2002. Mechanical Properties of Individual Southern Pine Fibers. Part II. Comparison of Earlywood and Latewood Fibers with Respect to Tree Height and Juvenility.
- Groom, Les; Shaler, Stephen; Mott, Laurence. 2002. Mechanical Properties of Individual Southern Pine Fibers. Part III: Global Relationships Between Fiber Properties and Fiber Location Within An Individual Tree.
- Stine, Michael; Roberds, Jim; Nelson, C. Dana; Gwaze, David P.; Shupe, Todd; Groom, Les. 2002. Quantitative Trait Inheritance in a Forty-Year-Old Longleaf Pine Partial Diallel Test.
- Moss, Patricia A.; Groom, Les. 2001. Microscopy.
- Groom, Les; Rials, Timothy; Snell, Rebecca. 2000. Effects of varying refiner pressure on the machanical properties of loblolly pine fibres.