Danny C. LeeCenter Director
200 W.T. Weaver BlvdPhone: 828-257-4854
Asheville, NC 28804-3454
Asheville, NC 28804-3454
Research efforts focus on system analysis, risk assessment, and large scale ecosystem management.
- Ph.D.in Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences, 1989
- Texas A&M University
- M.S.in Ecology, 1983
- University of Tennessee
Featured Publications and Products
- Norman, Steven P.; Lee, Danny C.; Jacobson, Sandra; Damiani, Christine. 2010. Assessing risks to multiple resources affected by wildfire and forest management using an integrated probabilistic framework.
- Bruins, Randall JF; Munns, Wayne R Jr.; Botti, Stephen J; Brink, Steve; Cleland, David; Kapustka, Larry; Lee, Danny; et, al. 2010. A new process for organizing assessments of social, economic, and environmental outcomes: case study of wildland fire management in the USA.
- Lee, Danny C.; Irwin, Larry L. 2005. Assessing risks to spotted owls from forest thinning in fire-adapted forests of the western United States.
- Lee, Danny C.; Rieman, Bruce E. 1997. Population viability assessment of salmonids by using probabilistic networks.
- Calkin, David E.; Ager, Alan A.; Thompson, Matthew P.; Finney, Mark A.; Lee, Danny C.; Quigley, Thomas M.; McHugh, Charles W.; Riley, Karin L.; Gilbertson-Day, Julie M. 2011. A comparative risk assessment framework for wildland fire management: the 2010 cohesive strategy science report.
- Pye, John M.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Sands, Yasmeen; Lee, Danny C.; Beatty, Jerome S., tech. eds. 2010. Advances in threat assessment and their application to forest and rangeland management—Volume 1.
- Pye, John M.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Sands, Yasmeen; Lee, Danny C.; Beatty, Jerome S., tech. eds. 2010. Advances in threat assessment and their application to forest and rangeland management—Volume 2.
- Lee, Danny C.; Beatty, Jerome S. 2008. 2007 accomplishment report for the Eastern and Western forest environmental threat assessment centers.
- Norman, Steven P.; Lee, Danny C.; Tallmon, David A. 2008. Developing a multiscale fire treatment strategy for species habitat management.
- Thurow, Russell F.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Lee, Danny C.; Howell, Philip J.; Perkinson, Raymon D. 2007. Distribution and status of redband trout in the interior Columbia river basin and portions of the Klamath river and great basins.
- Weller, Theodore J.; Lee, Danny C. 2007. Mist net effort required to inventory a forest bat species assemblage.
- Haynes, Richard W.; Bormann, Bernard T.; Lee, Danny C.; Martin, Jon R., tech. eds. 2006. Northwest Forest Plan—the first 10 years (1994-2003): synthesis of monitoring and research results.
- Rieman, Bruce; Lee, Danny; Burns, Dave; Gresswell, Robert; Young, Michael; Stowell, Rick; Rinne, John; Howell, Philip. 2003. Status of native fishes in the western United States and issues for fire and fuels management.
- Thompson, William L.; Lee, Danny C. 2002. A two-stage information-theoretic approach to modeling landscape-level attributes and maximum recruitment of chinook salmon in the Columbia River basin.
- Rieman, Bruce; Peterson, James T.; Clayton, James; Howell, Philip; Thurow, Russell; Thompson, William; Lee, Danny. 2001. Evaluation of potential effects of federal land management alternatives on trends of salmonids and their habitats in the interior Columbia River basin.
- Andelman, Sandy J.; Beissinger, Steve; Cochrane, Jean Fitts; Gerber, Leah; Gomez-Priego, Paola; Groves, Craig; Haufler, Jon; Holthausen, Richard; Lee, Danny; Maguire, Lynn; Noon, Barry; Ralls, Katherine; Regan, Helen. 2001. Scientific standards for conducting viability assessments under the Nathional Forest Management Act: report and recoomendations of the NCRAS Working Group.
- Thompson, William L.; Lee, Danny C. 2000. A two-stage information-theoretic approach to modeling landscape-level attributes and maximum recruitment of chinook salmon in the Columbia River basin [electronic resource].
- Thompson, William L.; Lee, Danny C. 2000. Modeling relationships between landscape-level attributes and snorkel counts of chinook salmon and steelhead parr in Idaho.
- Wisdom, Michael J.; Holthausen, Richard S.; Wales, Barbara C.; Hargis, Christina D.; Saab, Victoria A.; Lee, Danny C.; Hann, Wendel J.; Rich, Terrell D.; Rowland, Mary M.; Murphy, Wally J.; Eames, Michelle R. 2000. Source habitats for terrestrial vertebrates of focus in the interior Columbia basin: broadscale trends and management implications. Volume 1—Overview.
- Lee, Danny C.; Sedell, James R.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Thurow, Russell F.; Williams, Jack E. 1998. Aquatic species and habitats.
- Shepard, Bradley B.; Sanborn, Brian; Ulmer, Linda; Lee, Danny C. 1997. Status and risk of extinction for westslope cutthroat trout in the Upper River Basin, Montana.
- Rieman, Bruce; Lee, Danny; McIntyre, Jack; Overton, Kerry; Thurow, Russ. 1993. Consideration of extinction risks for salmonids.
- Examining Trade-offs in Wildland Fire Management Decisions (2014)
- Reducing or mitigating the negative effects of wildland fire is a major priority in communities all across the United States and must be addressed across agencies and jurisdictional boundaries. The National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy is a multiyear effort by federal agencies working with states, tribes, and other interested publics to develop an integrated and comprehensive plan to collaboratively reduce human and ecological losses from wildfire.
- Science benefits national fire planning effort (2011)
- As part of ongoing efforts to reduce human and ecological losses from wildfire, federal agencies responsible for wildland fire management are working with states, tribes, and other interested publics to develop a National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy. Scientists from the Southern Research Station Eastern Forest Environmental Threat Assessment Center (EFETAC) serve on a science and analysis team working with regional strategy committees to evaluate the relative consequences of alternative courses of action in wildland fire management. This trade-off analysis will provide important information that can be used to guide the national strategy.