Information and Resources for Station and Cooperating Authors
The following materials were designed to help reduce manuscript turnaround time, improve communications with authors, and reduce costs while maintaining the Station's reputation for high quality, credible publications:
- Update to Authors Guide -- p. 50, How to cite unpublished references
- Improving Your Writing
- How to Prepare a Proceedings Publication Budget
- Authors Guide; Authors Checklist; and Guidelines for Tables, Graphics, and Citations - provide information on preparing text, tables, and figures for most publications
- Publishing a Conference Proceedings - provides instructions for papers in conference proceedings
- Custom Dictionary - incorporates governmental and scientific conventions for spelling
- Quick Reference Guide - incorporates professional and governmental conventions for capitalization, compounding, units of measure, and numerals
All links above are to portable document format or PDF files. Get Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these documents.
The 135 (+/-) scientists at the Southern Research Station are authors or coauthors for 600 to 700 publications a year. These include journal articles, conference proceedings papers, books and book chapters, bibliographies, management guidelines, guest editorials, and assessments.
In addition, the Station publishes the results of its scientists and their cooperators in four technical series:
- Research papers--Results, analyses, conclusions of formal studies or experiments
- General technical reports--Information of a technical nature, but not an original report; proceedings, computer programs, annotated biographies, guidebooks
- Research notes--Observational information on new techniques or instruments, especially of how-to-do-it type or incidental discovery
- Resource bulletins--Economic information of permanent value on timber and other forest resources or their utilization